4wd module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Kent

Reaction score
OK, I just finished installing my Safari bar and Hella 500 lights. I left the battery disconnected over night since I did not quite finish up yesterday. As I was about to button everything up, I began to test all the power options.

Low and behold the 4wd will not engage. No lights on the dash when you start, no clicking from the module, no blown fuses. Never had a problem before. Just used it within the last few weeks.

From my symptoms I beleive I need the module. Easy enough to replace myself. What I don't get is that while reading about all the failed modules here several people have made mention that they either had a dead batter or disconnected battery just before the failre.

Why the correlation between dead/disconntected battery and dead control module? Or is this simply coincidental?

Thanks for any input.

I think that it has something to do with the re connection of the battery. Like you should only disconnect the neg for working on the truck. When changing the battery disconnect the neg first and connect last....

I have a stereo capacitor that when I disconnect the battery I discharge the system by stepping on the brake or turning on lights to remove any left over charge...

Maybe when people disconnect their battery, they cause a short or do something to shock the system...

Todd Z

Whether you disconnect/reconnect or jump for a dead battery, it must put a surge into the module that toasts it. I for one will be disconnecting my module whenever I do ANYTHING electrical. No coincidence.....Ford "quality".

Tim

I replaced the 4wd control module on my lunch hour today. Took care of the problem....

I hate to think every time I disconnect the battery I am risking a module part failure.

Add me to the list of happy Ford customers.