4WD Turning Off and On

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michel

Reaction score
Well, we got our first dose of snow here in Illinois and I finally have a chance to use the 4WD. The ST handles the snow real well. I did notice that the 4WD light turned on and off-and I can here a relay clicking at the same time. Its a '01, job 1, 53K. Where should I start looking for the problem, weak relay, bad connection, 4WD module? My guess is that something is drawing just a little too much current between the relay and the engagement motor on the tranfer case.

Thanks, I appreciate all the input from the site!

I would bet that you do not have a mechanical issue, (engaging motor, transfer case, etc etc).

More than a few have had to replace the relay. It is an easy thing to do and pretty cheap in the scheme of things. Recently there has been more module issues than in the past. Like two or three here in the last month.

I would shoot for the relay first.

Can also place the switch in 4wd and lightly with a rubber mallet tap the t-case motor. Since the 4wd sits un used all summer the motors have an issue with sticking...

Todd Z

After re-reading your post based on Todds sugestion I get the idea your not actually engauging into four wheel drive. If that is the case then do as Todd suggested as it will test the engauging motor for you.

Even in the summer you need to activate the four wheel drive system to keep things from seizing up.....

Thanks for the info, I engage the 4WD at least once a month, any time it rains, just to keep things moving. The mechanical parts seem to be working just fine, it also turns on correctly, disengages correctly. Its pretty easy to tell when the front axle is pulling. I had it engaged for about 25 minutes this AM. After about 10 minutes it would cycle on and off, 5-10 seconds off, I suspect an electrical component heating up-excess current flow. I've got paper Ford Tech Manuals-I need to dig through them also. Relay sounds like the cheap place to start. The connectors inthe 4WD harness might be dirty and wet also. Cleaned and properly greased is a cheap check also.

Thanks again,

PS. Running Firestone Wilderness AT's, Wet/Dry traction is pretty average, disappointing on wet pavement, they perform better on snow and ice.

My 3rd 4WD Computer Module is being installed as we write. When the heat is blasting near the relay I hear the clicking and the light flashes as it goes off and on. I've had this problem since new. (01' )........