4WD Will Not Work

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Madasz

Reaction score
My son has a 2001 Sport Trac. The 4WD quit working and he had it diagnosed as a failed GEM module (4WD Control Module). Has anyone had experience with replacing one or these?

Thank You.

Yes.. the modeule is behind your passenger side kick panel, remove the panel... its a black box held in by 2 bolt i believe...

I had the same problem and a new module is about 150.00 - 200.00 I believe but I got one for about 40 buck (i think that was the price) from a wrecker.

just take out the 2 bolts... unplug the module.... plug in a new one... put the bolts back in... really easy

Hope this helps

Welcome Larry !! This is a great site and it has a wealth of information.

As for your issue, the problem is either the module or the transfer case motor.

If you are sure it is the 4X4 module, then it is located in the passenger side kick panel.

Should take you 15 minutes to replace.

There is a project with pictures done by George C.

(Look in projects and under maintanence)

Dave

Quick way to diagnose the problem.

When you try to engage the 4WD, do you hear a click in the passenger wheelwell? If not, it's the module. This module also controls the 4x4 light on the dash, so if the module is bad, the light will usually not work either.

If you DO hear a click, then look farther...ie the transfer case motor. If you have not engaged the 4x4 in a while, sometimes, it sticks. LIGHTLY tapping on the motor might free it up, but if not, it's not a hard job to replace it.