4WD won't engage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Morse

Reaction score
i have a 2001 sport track 4wd. I've noticed that when trying to switch into 4wd it is intermittent on when it engages. It kicked in the other day, but now i flip the switch to 4high and nothing happens, same w/ 4L. I've tried it in park, going in reverse, going forward and nothing. Any thoughts or ideas?

I had this happen before, and it was a bad module. It's been awhle, so I don't remember if it was located behind the passenger side kick panel or behind the stereo in the dash...

Yeah, same thing happened to me. Krash is right, behind the passenger kick panel. See about a junk yard one and do it yourself. Mine at the dealer cost me $400 bucks. Good luck

i found that project, thanks for all the help from everyone...i will call around tomorrow to see if i can find a used one... found one online for $123 plus $10 freight.

Have you tried tapping on the 4wd engagment motor underneath? It might be intermittent because of sticking. Some have had that happen also. Use a rubber hammer if possible, while someone flips the switch for you.

When you try to put it into 4H, do you hear a click and does the light come on in the dash? If so, the module is probably working. If not, it's probably the module. As mentioned, the module is located behind the passenger kick panel.

If you DO hear the click, then maybe GENTLY tap the motor on the transfer case. This motor has a history of not engaging, and sometimes a small tap gets it moving. If the tap does not work, replace the motor.

I put it in 4H about once a month to keep the motor from freezing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
behind the kick panel is the module... i think i got one for 50.00 at a wreckers... it was 2 screws and a plug to change... EASY

I would say so....

To bad you were not closer to me on the island, I would gladly test it for you...

Todd Z