4wd

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Nottin

Reaction score
I've recently bought an 04 Sportrac without an owners manual and I have no idea how to put it into 4wd. I've asked around and I've gotten different answers on how to do it. I really don't want to mess anything up by experimenting around to put it into 4wd. I've had a 94 Grand Cherokee that had to go 5mph and be in neutral before putting it into 4wd. I had a 99 Grand Cherokee that could be put into 4wd at just about anytime (had to atleast be moving). I've searched the web and havn't found anything. I searched this forum and, well, there's a lot of topics to go through and I have limited time. Lots of snow outside and I have to take my kids home later. It's kind of hard to sift through topics on here with two littles ones running around. Anyway, can anyone give me a consistant answer on how to put an 04 Sportrac into 4wd please?

4 High you can shift on the fly, I guess about 5 mph at least. 4 low, you need to stop the ST, shift into Neutral, put into 4 low and then back into drive. This is how I have always done it and never had a problem.

Tommy

Click this link below...

Just a heads up, at any speed, flip the switch from 4x2 to 4x4. To go into 4x4L, stop vehicle, place tranny in N, foot on brake, flip to 4x4L. The 4x4L light will come on when in 4x4L and the 4x4 High light will come on when you are in 4x4 high.

Tom

Latest posts