4x2 into 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can it be done, absolutely. Is it easy, no.

If you were dealing with an 80's vintage vehicle it is not an issue, I have done many conversions for customers.

With the Trac, you will need, a complete front axle asm, complete front suspension, drive shaft, transfer case, ensure all gears are the same ratio, many computer components, switches and dash components and many other things I am sure I am forgetting.

Basically, this is one of those vehicles that unless you had a scrapped Trac in front of you, I would not do it.

It would be cheaper to trade yours in and buy what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the reply's

i was asking because now that i have a sport trac i find myself wanting to off road more. right now i can't get a new sport trac or trade mine in (to far upside down in value)

what can i do to this 4x2 to get the best traction in sand, for when i go to the dunes.(besides letting air out of my tires) is posi traction a good option.

If you have the limited slip dif, you might find that it works quite well. If you have an open diff, you could replace it with a limited slip or a locker. There are several that are better than the Ford LS dif.

Honestly if you're hell bent on switching and don't want to buy a new one a solid front axle swap may be a good route.

a solid front axle?

Yes. A '76-'77 Bronco Dana 44 unit is the right width and has disc brakes. Scarce as hen's teeth though and getting pricey WHEN you can find one. Earlier ones also have the good Dana 44 but have drum brakes so you'd need to swap some discs on. I've heard that people have also swapped the more common Dana 30 front axle from Jeep Cherokees into Rangers but I don't think that one is real strong if you want big tires.

is it of any help with no power to it?

No. We're talking about swapping in a t-case, custom driveshaft, the electronics to shift it (or hack a hole in the floor for a lever), fabricating a whole new front suspension, etc.

or does it help with one side turning the other?

Say what?

Way easier and probably cheaper to just trade it on a 4x4. With decent tires and a Powertrax No-Slip rear differential it should go pretty good off-road though until you can get a 4x4.