4X4 Does Not Disengage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Sport Trac. The 4wd engages fine. However, when I turn the switch to 2wd, it drives down the road 1 mile before it disengages. I hear the switch click under the dash when engaging and disengaging. I was wondering if the problem exist with the transfer case motor, or a dirty connection to the transfer motor. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I take it out of 4WD, I usually let up on the gas for a couple seconds. You need to take the pressure off the transfer case for it to actually come out of 4WD. I've had it stay in 4WD sometimes for quite a while, until I let off the gas...

Some times you may have to stop and back up for a second, BUT letting off the gas normally works..

Todd Z

Thanks for the feedback. I went out and used your suggestion by letting off the gas and it still takes anywhere from 1 to 4 miles before the 4wd disengages. Also, I used the 4wd low and it shifted back instantly to 4wd high without a problem. Also, sometimes it will somtimes disengage at a full stop and sometimes after driving a 4 miles. There does not seem to be any ryme or reason. However, it always engages instantly into 4wd, with a click noise under the dash and the 4wd dash light will illuminate.

I always stop put it in nuetral, and switch it off/on one level at a time ( 4L-4H-2 )( 2-4H-4L ), I put the overdrive off whenever I'm in 4wd as well. Just the way I am I guess, if you don't have the drivetrain parts rotatin, you don't have to worry about anything binding up or malfunctioning ( breaking ). JMO. :banana::grin::driving:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the 4WD not disengaging or is it just the auto locking hubs not unlocking immediately? I was surprised when going from my '93 Ranger which had directions to back up to unlock the hubs to my ST which gave no direction. Thanks for the taking foot off the gas tip above, I had never heard that. We've had an unusually bad winter in VA, and the 4WD has done very well, but locking/unlocking of the hubs always bothered me, not knowing if I could trust the transfer case motor after my Rangers going bad. I can never hear the relay click, either.

Latest posts