4x4 fixed!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well, i got my 4wd module replaced finally today...Only cost me um... $555.00 including labor...that sucked. The reason being i took it to 2 places b4 the dealer to find out what was wrong... 1 place didnt charge me at all, but another place cost me $194.00 for 3 hours labor and couldnt even hook it up to their computer so they had no idea what was wrong...that made me snap on the guy...but i paid it not happily. the dealer only cost $105 and they found the problem, and then $256 more for the part and labor...Works good now, so i guess it had to be done before winter here in Buffalo.

Andy

Good to hear, Andy! Mine's been working lately... I test it almost daily now, with winter coming on. Last thing I need is for it to fail on me during a storm!

Michael,

Andy's been having a problem with his rig engaging into 4wd, as have I. Flip the switch on the dash, and nothing happens. It has failed to engage the 4wd several times in the past year. I've replaced the switch on the dash, and that's not the problem, so the module is next... Mine's a 2001. The module's like $110, plus labor to replace it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael, 2001, yup nothin happened when the electronic 4wd switch turned to 4x4 high or low...fuses were fine...4wd high and low lights didnt flash when truck turned on either... If your havin these problems, take it right to the dealer...its not worth goin to different places and gettin charged when they cant fix it...got ripped...hope u dont.

Good luck,

Andy

Krash, If yours is only engaging some of the time, then your module is probably starting to go...the module itself for an '01 is $195.00, dealer took an hour labor...not to bad, but the expensive thing is diagnosing the problem...thats why i would suggest takin it right to the dealer b4 any local places because they seem to not be able to detect anything..

Good Luck,

Andy

Andy,

It's been doing this for several months now. I've already been down there to talk to them. They'll charge me $110 for the module, plus labor... The tranny issue today will need to be fixed first, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem and I also had to get the module replaced. My mechanic talked to someone at Ford who suggested that a custom ground wire be installed from the transfer case motor to the frame directly. That 4x4 shifting motor which receives signal from the electronic module is currently grounded on the cast aluminum transfer case which may be the source of the problem potentially making the electronic module blow. Something to for you all to consider.

Cheers,

Rob