4x4 front hubs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Sacco

Reaction score
I'm getting a 'clicking' sound from the front end now. Recently I put it in 4xhigh, and it got even louder, so I'm thinking it is a front hub. A mechanic told me that it just may be that since it was so cold here lately, that it didn't lock in all the way. When I take it out of 4 wheel drive, the clicking is still there (but not near as loud). I've taken it to 3 places now, and they all said that there is no evidence of leakage around the boots, so they didn't want to take it apart.

Is there somewhere I can find out how the front drive works? It doesn't seem to do that if I put it in 4 x low. I have an '01.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated:)

CV or Spider Joint. Similair to FWD cars. Hubs or bearings usually moan and groan

(like my ex wife when she sees how well I'm doing now!!!).

Probably a CV joint. The front end does not lock and unlock, it is always locked in. The dash switch only kicks the transfer case in or out.

98-early 00 Rangers did have vacuum operated front hubs but they proved to be troublesome. All 95+ Explorers and all Sport Tracs have an always-live front axle.