4x4 light not coming on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh, here we go again!

Ray,

I've had the same problem with my rig. When you turn the key on, does the 4wd HI light come on at all? Do you hear a 'clicking' sound coming from behing the pasenger side kick panel when you flip the switch? If the light comes on at start up only and there's no clicking sound, you might have a bad motor. Mine had a flat spot and wouldn't engage. Sometimes, I'd have to flip the 4wd switch several hundred times before it would engage, and that could take 45 minutes to an hour. I just had the motor replaced this morning so that I don't get stuck trying to cross the summit in chain control without 4wd!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd start by checking the fuse. It's #35 on my '01.

When you turn on the key and the dash 'christmas trees' (all the lights come on to tell you that they work) if the 4wd Hi & 4wd Lo lights don't come on, then the problem could be elsewhere. But if they light up to tell you that they DO work, then my advice is to take it to Ford or a reputable mechanic and have them plug in a scanner and check the 4wd motor for bad codes, because the motor is not switching into 4wd. (The 'clicking' sound coming from the control module.)

Nothing is comming on. Not even when I start it. No 4wd lights at all. It's like there is no power. I changed the fuse under the hood. Still nothing.

Ray,

Is there a fuse box on the side of your dash panel at the driver's door? If so, check #35...

*or, if you don't have a 2001, check your owner's manual to see which fuse is your 4wd.

I just had the same problem it was my 4wd module... 180.00 for parts, 65 for labor, 12 month/12,000 mile warranty too...only place that could fix it.

Good luck,

Andy