4x4 module on transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Sundown

Reaction score
Anyone know if it is hard to change the 4x4 module on the back of transmission on the 2001 ST. Mine is not engaging when I turn the selector switch to 4x4 high or low. Any suggestions. I checked my fuses and are good. I tried hitting the motor but nothing. I hardly used the damn thing and truck only has 56000 miles. Anyone have one for cheap or know where I can locate one used??? thanks guys/gals

do you hear a click coming from the passenger side kick panel when you flip the 4x4 switch? If not then your module could be toast. It was a 50.00 part from a wrcher and i think around a 150 - 200 part new. simple to install 2 screws and a cable. Just be sure to disconnect the negative terminal on your battery before you start removal/installation.

If you are not sure where it is located, sit in the passnger seat, kick for with right leg, its behind the plastic panel you just kicked (its a black box). Hope this helps.

thanks for replying. Its stopped clicking now. When I used before it was clicking on and off. I didnt know what to think. Now When I turn the know it doesn't or light up. So this is the part on the back of transmission that looks like the wiper they said?? Yeah I called my local dealer here in Yonkers NY and they said its about $300.00 So I am on the hunt to find one used. I also sent a letter to Ford Motor Co and complained about it going bad because I hardly used it and my truck only has 56000 miles. Thats not right for making a 4x4 that barely got used. I think everyone who has them should complain so then they will do a recall on this. What's the point in making a 4x4 if it will not work after a certain mileage?? Anyways sir thanks.

jsundown - that $300 has to be an installed price. The part only costs about $175 at the dealer. It takes all of five minutes to install.

Jason, Try the local Junk yards out here on the island, I can pick it up for you, or ship it to you....

Also you should try to make the Long Island meet in May 19th.

We could put it on there for ya !

Todd Z

Thanks. I was thinking of another part ooops. So its the module in the kick panel. How can you get this new or used? I was gonna ask also when the meet was rescheduled for. Give all the details. I want to see some hooked up ST's. You can email me at [email protected] also if you want. I really appreciate all the help and the support this site has given me. You don't know how bad I wanted to trade mine in. But you guys and my girl made me keep it.