4x4 Module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Pachnos

Reaction score
I understand that many members advise tapping the 4x4 engagement module when the ST doesn't engage in 4 wheel drive (a common problem). I know this has been asked before but where is the 4x4 motor? Is it near the oil filter and do I reach it by getting under the ST?

The 4x4 motor is on the transfer case. On the rear of the transfer case. It looks a little like a windshield wiper motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

what is the problem exactly. When you shift into 4x4 do you hear a clicking sounds from the passenger side kick panel area? If not then your module may have to be replaced. I got one for about 50.00 from a wrecker but I think they are about 200.00 new.

Big D - the light comes on and I hear the clicking sound. However, it is a crap shoot if I get it to engage in 4 wheel drive. I am a volunteer fire fighter and got stuck on the way to a call last week in the snow because I was in 2 wheel drive. When the ST goes into 4 it is great but otherwise.....

is there a part no. for this module. and where is this located. when i turn my switch on it doesn't light up any of the 4x4. before this it use to click on and off.is this the fix for that prblem??? thanks

jsundown - the 4x4 module is located behind the side kickplate of the front passenger area. It is held in by two screws and there are two plugs connected to it. I do not have a part number. I just replaced mine in early January. It was $175 at the dealer her in north east Philadelphia. Be careful with the kickplate itself. Most plastics on the trac snap apart. This one has to be slid sideways to unlock a tab near the top of the piece along the door jam.