4x4 motor gone?... make any sense?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Starr

Reaction score
Well I decided to click over to 4 wheel drive for the fist time in a couple months only to find that it would not engage. I tested the switch with a multimeter and it appears fine, fuses are fine.

I went underneath and trie my best to understand the cabling underneath and that appears fine. It almost seems like the little motor that engages my 4x4 could be shot. Does this make any sense? Do you have any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

Worst case scenario I will take it to a dealer to look at but thought I would check on here first

When I owned my 91 explorer, the 4 wheel drive engagement motor would seize up. I don’t know if they use the same little motor now, but the little motor on my explorer would stick and not engage whenever I had not used it for a few months. Before I replaced that little part I would go underneath the truck with a light rubber hammer and kind of knock on it while another person pushed the button. Then the little feather wheels inside the motor would release and everything would be fine.

That is the best info I have for you. Hope you find a solution.

Did you try it in P (Park), N and in D? See if the correct signal is enabling it to switch. Just a thought...

Does it sound like there is a click under the passenger footwell when you turn the switch? There is a relay that others have had a problem with. No click, then possibly a relay problem. If you hear the click, then get under the ST and GENTLY tap the motor with a hammer. If you have not engaged it in 4x4 in a while(and it sounds like you have not), the motor can freeze up and it just needs a little persuasion... If it clicks and the motor still won't turn after some persuasion, you guessed it, it's probably the motor! ;-) Of course, all of the above assumes you have checked the fuse to make sure it's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigD, I had the same problem on my 98 Explorer. Just did the same light tap with a nylon mallet like Snooze. Hope it works for you. It is definitely a lot cheaper.:D Don

Well I will try the lightly hitting it thing.... see how it goes. All fuses are fine. I cant recall hearing a click when i would try to engage it (where can I find the relay).

Q and ChrisT are on the right track. Check that first. Do a search also, there were quite a few posts last winter that people were having the same problem and it was the relay.;)

Q and ChrisT and Stonemiser are right. However, if the relay is fine, then it is your module. Mine did the same thing you are describing, but I took it in to find the module went bad. It is located under the passenger side foot compartment. They charged me almost $400 to do the job. (stupid dealership charging all kinds of cash.... aaarrggghh) Anyway, if that is your problem, see if you can find the 4WD module elsewhere and put it in yourself. After the dealer replaced mine, I learned that it is a simple job to do. (D'OH!!!) Good luck and I hope it is just the relay.

Tommy

crap... where i'll check the relay first... then the module... heres hoping.... so these are both located somewhere on the passenger side foot area?

anyone have pics by chance