4x4 not turning on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
got 2-3 inches of snow in ohio today and i went to put my trac in 4wd and nothing happened...it's an 02 and 4wheel high or low don't work...from what i've read it's probably either the module or motor....i saw the picture todd z posted but i can't find the motor so i can tap with a mallet and test it...thanks ahead of time

The module is a common failure....

If you can get to it, tap it with a light tool at the same time you are turning it on. Often this will work to at least let you know what the issue may be..

Yes...

The other normal failure is the engaging motor on the transfer case itself.

If all is good but the motor, you can have someone flip the switch while you tap on the motor with a hammer.

What happens is, a rust ring gets formed on the shaft that the gear slides on. This rust ring is enough to no allow the ring to engage into the gears.

just tried tapping on the motor and nothing happened....so does that mean the module is bad then? called the dealership they said either module or motor...but it's gonna cost 75 bucks just for them to run the diagnostic...should i just try to find a used module at the junkyard or order a new one online instead of going through the dealer and probably paying over 300?- thanks again

Do you hear a click when you turn on 4x4 coming from the passenger side kick panel? Does the 4x4 light on the dash eluminate?

What ScoTt'01 said. If you hear a click in the passenger foot well, then the module and relay may indeed be ok, and then you look to the motor. No click and maybe no lights on the dash points more to the module. Module is easy to replace. Motor is a bit tougher unless you have a place to work on it out of the snow. Junkyard on the module might be ok, but the motor may have the same rust ring problem as CJ talked about, only maybe worse because it may have sat for longer in the yard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got a part number, and good source, for the 4x4 motor?

I have a 4x4 module on order, and I'm hoping that will fix it. But, if not, I want to order a motor right away. We're getting more snow in Michigan, and rear wheel drive and slick roads don't mix well.

When I got under the ST and looked at the 4x4 motor, it looked like a pretty easy do-it-yourself fix. Can anyone confirm this?

thanks guys...i think i'm gonna take my truck to the dealership and have them run the diagnostic test just so they can tell me exactly what's wrong and then i'll order the part and go from there....what a fair price for the module and the motor?

Mine was doing the same thing.. no clicks from the module, no lighting of the indicators..

I just replaced my control module, and now it's working great. 4x4 instantly engages. No more sliding through the snow.