4x4 not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert broere

Reaction score
i went outside last night to take the trac out.i notice the light for 4 wheel high does not light up.so i take her for a ride anyway .and no 4 wheel drive.is it possible that this is just a blown fuse.

Possibly, but it's probaby the module. Check the project section on how to replace. An easy but not real cheap repair...

just checked the fuses .all good. anything besides the module.how much does this piece cost? and can i get this at autozone or do i have to go to a dealer?

Here's where I got my 4x4 control module. Cost $120. Came in a sealed Motorcraft box so it's not a used generic knockoff.

I emailed the seller my VIN number. He said it's the correct part. In fact, when the part came in the mail, the box said "Ranger/Explorer Sport." It works fine on my 2001 Job 2 Sport Trac.

A good majority of late model Ranger components are interchangeable with Gen 1 Explorer and ST. This module is vehicle specific, see link from same ebaymotors web site.

Mine failed about 8 hours before we got a foot of snow. My truck was trapped in the garage by a two foot continuous drift covering my entire driveway.

Can anyone explain why these 4x4 control modules go bad? Isn't it just a small piece of electronics?

Do they go bad from use, or is there a limited "shelf life" to this part?

I'm asking because it seems like a pretty common problem with the STs.

TJR

Tom.....

I saw this on trucks that were used for jump starting and people that replaced their batteries...

ALSO some on just posted that simply removing the plugs and cleaning them solved the problem....

IT is located in an are that can promote moisture on the ST...

Check the projects section, I would try cleaning the contacts first...

ANOTHER reason I use my 4wd 2 times a month to keep an eye on it and to keep the parts moving..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
fc92305c965385938ae397041ecfb1ea.jpg

Unplug the connectors from the module. Spray a liberal amount of cleaner onto the pins of the connector and plug it back in quickly. Do this a couple of times. The stuff dries VERY fast. Make sure everything has dried out before applying power to the module.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact cleaner from radio shack......

IF you desperate an intake cleaner will work... DO NOT use carburetor cleaner...

IF you can get a q-tip with alcohol on it in the plug, clean it with that

Todd Z