4x4 not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Rice

Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while but have always got great help so here it goes. 2001 4x4

Ok I have no idea how or when this happened. I didn't drive it yesterday, my wife did, she said it drove fine, nothing out of the usual. I drove it a Sat, Sun, Mon, prior and nothing wrong, had an alignment done on sat and nothing has seemed weird at all. But on my way home from class today I noticed it was in 4low. The light was not on, in the dash and it was driving normal. I stopped and checked, sure enough no 4 high or 4 low. I hear the click like its switching, but no lights in dash and no 4x4... I'm so pissed, its always been fine... So how much will it be to fix? Are there other things wrong possibly as well? Would have noticed if we were driving around in 4 low so I don't know whats up. My daughter has done that before (3 years old), switched on the 4x4 but as soon as you pull out of the driveway you can tell. I'm guessing she switched it, but for some reason now it wont engage.:angry:

I just thought of something else, I had to have my front drive shaft replaced it was grinding and sounding real bad on the driver side. Haven't used 4x4 since then...could that have done it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I had the same thing about 4 months ago... It turned out that the solenoid was good (clicking sound) but there is an acuator mounted on the transfer case that was bad. good/bad news fixable but it cost $150 for part and install- Looking back the wasn't so bad of price!

Latest posts