4x4: Usage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64117

Reaction score
this is my first 4x4. I only use it to commute back and forth from work and home depot for home projects.

I am trying to determine the best use for the 4x4 high when i drive. I live in MA so winters are rough. Lately its been raining like crazy. I have been engaging the 4x4 high during these times for better control of my ST. I get up to 50mph at times on dbl lane roads. Am I doing any unseen damage to the Tracs drivetrain?

I do notice that when i am at low speeds...like pulling into a driveway or gas station, the Trac feels like i am climbing a mountain. Should i be switching it back to 4x2 when i am getting ready to park it?

thanks in advance.

DanG

You are not getting any better control with 4x4 on wet roads. You can do some serious damage to your truck if you use the 4x4 in conditions where it is not needed.

I live in upstate NY so I understand the snow. If there is a few inches of snow ON the road, yes, use the 4x4. Remember though, the 4x4 does not make you invincible. Controling your speed and being aware of the conditions and how poor they are will only help you drive better.

I only use the 4x4 on wet road if there is puddles that are very deep. there is a stretch of road for 3 miles that i travel every day thats surrounded by marsh land. it gets overwelmed by water. with the 4x4 engaged, i do get better control. I dont drive like a maniac through any kind of weather.

fmarano, i agree with 4x4 doesn't make you invincible.

I just want to make sure i am not hurting my Trac but utilizing the drivetrain properly.

You shouldn't have 4-wheel engaged on pavement, not even on wet pavement. The straining that you feel as you pull into paved driveways and gas stations, even if the surfaces are wet is going to cause damage over time. If on a straight away and about to drive through standing water I would guess 4x4 is okay, but once clear, switch it off. 4x4 is helpful in snow, doesn't do much in ice, and really isn't helping you with water slicked roads.

great. thanks for the help.

is there anything i need to do for manintenance on the drive train?

I only use 4x4 in the mud and snow. And quite often i use it on the highway in snow. I know people say not to use 4x4 at highway speeds but i have for 5 years now with no ill effects. I never use it in dry or even wet conditions (unless the wet conditions are while I'm 4x4ing)

Last edited by a moderator:
The feeling you get when parking is actually when turning and is binding in the transfer case caused by the different radius paths the front v. rear wheels follow. The Trac has a "locked" transfer case (not differentiated) and, when engaged, the front and rear drive shafts are driven at the same speed, always. When turning on low friction terrain, one or more wheels, front or rear, can spin, however, when turning on high friction terrain where no wheels can or do spin, there is a difference in the front and rear driveshaft speeds and, since the drive shafts are essentially locked as one, the drive line is bound until wheels spin or something breaks. These somethings that break are typically expensive to fix.

The answers to your questions are tricky. As you've noticed, the advice from here is not to use the 4WD on pavement, even if wet (hydroplane prevention may be an exception).

1) If you choose to use the 4WD on pavement then, yes, but minimal if not turning.

2) If you choose to use the 4WD on high friction terrain then, yes.

I use mine in Maine when there's at least 1 inch of snow on the ground and don't go over 45 mph. Ice or wet pavement the 4X4 does nothing for both and wasn't designed for it.

I've had 4 different vehicles with 4X4. I've been using it for years and years. Whenever someone posts a thread like this I read the usual absolutest dire warnings (e.g., use it only off road, don't use it on wet pavement, you can do severe damage, it does no good on ice, etc.). The problem in many places is that oftentimes roads have snow, rain, and ice all at the same time. What's a 4X4 owner to do? My advice is to use your judgement. On roads? Hell yes, that's why I buy 4X4s. So I can get where I'm going through the ice and snow of the northeast. Some offroaders can be pretty snobby about 4X4 but then they are driving 4X4 for totally different reasons than those of us who are road warriors and drive them to get to work and home through hell and highwater. Do you want to tell people you were in an accident and no, you weren't using your 4X4 in a storm? On wet roads? Sometimes but not all the times. When the rain is hard and driving and leaving deep puddles everywhere, of course the 4X4 helps do the job to keep you driving steady as she goes and avoid hydroplaning. Everytime there's a little sprinkle? It's not necessary. Yes I usually take it out of 4X4 in parking lots too. It only makes sense unless of course there is ice and snow in the lot. Like I said I've had 4 vehicles with 4X4 and have been using them for years like this and have had NO problems with Chevies, Dodges, Jeeps and now a Ford.

CB, I used to think like you, but not all 4x4s are the same. The ST simply should not be driven on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. The owner's manual even says so. If the pavement is a mix of dry and wet (snow and clear) then you likely don't need 4x4. If you THINK you need 4x4 in those situations and are comforted in having it engaged then I suggest that you are the type of driver that AWD is best suited.

I have had my ST for two Winters now. Have driven it in 4-wheel drive mode twice...once when the roads were full of about 2 feet of snow.

TJR

I will use mine this afternoon since i will be driving through about 12 inches of snow. I would not trust AWD. You have to be slipping for it to kick in. by the time it responds you could already be in trouble. (I have had that happen to me more than once.)

TJR-Not at all. It is on my wife's 2000 Mountaineer. it has AWD. after having it almost put me in the ditch I do not trust it at all. I drive in Winter contitions from October to April every year (9" of snow today.) M y 1995 Ranger has never gotten me in trouble not like the Mountaineer.

I grew up in Easton area so I know what kind of winters you have in PA also. We have ice and snow most of the time from now until March or April.

Our experience is just the opposite.

My ST *DID* put us in the ditch last December....dry road, hit black ice and the back end came out and around. Given the rather sure-footed nature of my wife's 04 Mountaineer we BOTH said we wish we were driving it instead that night. Have NEVER slipped or slopped on any road conditions with that truck...have had plenty of "Mr Toad's Wild Rides" with the ST.

TJR

TJR - I guess that all modes have their advantages and disadvanges. I probably drive like I have 4WD all instead of AWD or straight 2 WD. It all is what you are used to

i really appreciate everyones input. I will keep it out of 4x4 and try and manage my speed in the rain. As stated previously, 4x4 doesn't make you invincible, it just allows you to get through tough driving conditions. I LOVE my ST so I will baby it. I might just get another as a beater...:lol:

TJR - All I can say when you say I just THINK I need 4WD is whatever. When the truck is sliding around on wet, icy and frozen highways, I put it in 4WD and it stops. Of course it could all just be in my head. I imagine once the new Congress gives me a tax increase I'll just THINK I have less money too because all the news stories will be rosy.

Latest posts