4x4 working correctly?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello everyone,

Well I drove my truck (2004) for the first time on really snowy roads today and I don't think something is right... Immediately when switching it into 4x4 you can hear(and feel) the obvious difference, however, when switching back to 2wd, it seems to get stuck in 4x4. The light on the dash goes out, but it will not switch back to 2wd mode. I remembered the old days of having to back up to unlock the hubs so I tried that and it immediately unlocked the hubs and everything was fine. I tried this a few times and the hubs will not unlock unless I back up a bit first. What should I be looking at?

For starters there are no hubs on the ST to "unlock" Your wheels and front diff and front drivesahft are connected and spinning 100% of the time regardless if you are in 4wd or not. The 4wd comes active in the transfer case. My St does the same thing as well if I am driving and switch to 4wd and then back to 2wd I let off the gas and coast to take the load of the t-case. Then the t-case switches back to 2wd. What happened when you stopped and backed up was you came to a stop first which took the load off the t-case.

So in short just let off the gas for a couple seconds and just coast, it will disengage.

I drove all the way back home with 4x4 disengaged, stopping for stop signs, turning corners, about 10 blocks and it never disengaged till I stopped and backed up, and I have tried this numerous times. It will disengage immediately when backing up, but not any other time.

Maybe the 4wd just stuck this time.... i try to "exercise" my 4wd when it is raining.... IT keeps everything moving and reduces the chance for issues...

once I am going straight it hit 4wd let it run for a min and then disengage it...

Todd Z

I've been told to do the same thing as Todd does. My 93 F-150 had the transfer case go out (after 240K, so it was due I guess). The place where I brought it recommended to put the truck in 4wd mode at least once a month. This will move the components in the transfer case and re-lube them. I've done it in both trucks now and knock on wood, really haven't had any issues w/ the 4wd.

Todd, same thing with my 05. If I switch to 4x during the rain (especially at the light), and then back to 2x once moving, it takes it a minute to finally wind down.

My guess Icann is that your still 'feeling' the 4x active, but it probably has disengaged the front drive, but your still feeling the transfer case working.

I've always gotten into the habit of backing a few feet after dissengaging the 4x4 on every 4x4s I've ever own with auto hubs because of the mechanics of locking hus.

Although the ST has no locking hubs, I've kept that practice and never had any issues. I just fthink that reversing meshing gears would release the presure easing parts to dissengage......just my to cents.

Cheers,

D

Had the truck diagnosed by Ford today and they gave me very bad news. Fluid inside transfer case was black, they said it should be red. When they drained the fluid, also noted some metal filings. They say transfer case is cooked and needs replacing. $2400 for a new one, $1600 used and I take my chances. I am not willing to spend this kind of money on a 5 year old truck with just over 60,000 miles on the clock. Makes me wonder what else will be going wrong with a truck that should be just barely broken in? I think my trac ownership days will be short lived, unfortunately because I love the truck.

there is nothing wrong most likley , just change you fluid and give it another try, .. ( see your other reply from me and others on your other post about this topic.)

Latest posts