4x4 working...just in time!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tod Gregory 2

Reaction score
I posted about a 4wd module a few weeks ago. I think Krash added some input...thanks.

I was having problems with the 4wd working and not working. It was very frustrating. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as the 4wd control module. After a few post we figured that it was indeed located behind the right kick panel on the passenger side. The dealer wanted $180.00 give or take a few. I just was not in the mood to spend that kind of money.

So I went to a salvage yard...had to make a few phone calls. Went to get one before a snow storm was to hit southern Ohio. Plugged it in at the salvage yard and viola...it worked perfectly...and not too soon. Within 15 minutes of leaving the junk yard I found myself in a snow storm. Roads and Traffic was a mess, but I was cruising in 4wd! Perfect timing and it only cost me $40.00.

Excellent! Proves the value of this forum.

I spent 3+ hours commuting home last night from a client and it was the first time I drove my ST in the snow. Also, it was the first time I ever used the four wheel drive. Luckily, it performed flawlessly. I even managed to smirk when I passed two guys pushing a mustang GT up a not very steep hill.

My ST has now confirmed its worth.

Yeah Tommy...that was about what mine was going to be with installation, etc... Ouch!

By the way, I found out that if you want a used 4wd module; the same one is used on the 01 Explorer and Ranger, but it maybe located in different places.