4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allycat 1

Reaction score
Can someone give me some info or what is problem, on this

When I put my trac into 4x4 and try to make a sharp turn there is a hesitation or somewhat of a lock up, But if I go straight or make a wider turn I have no problems or even in 2 wheel drive. ( My trac was in a accident and got repaired, so I don't know if something did not get repaired properly):unsure:

Were you on dry ground? The ST's 4x4 was not meant to be used on dry ground or pavement, so if you were, that could be the problem.

Since all wheels have drive power the ST has a "funny" feel when making sharp turns on flat ground or pavement.

At least mine does.

Broader turns are not noticed as much as ghe sharp ones.

Yup, Ally, the 4x4 ST is for off-road and "slick roads" only. Trying to turn say like turning into a parking space with 4x4 engaged will make the vehicle feel like it's just not turning, like the rudder on a big boat just isn't doing anything. Also, don't drive the 4x4 on dry pavement...you can harm the ST quite easily.

I only turned the 4x4 mode on a couple of times when it was really rainy outside and it was always on wet roads. So this might be a normal thing???

Yes it is normal, wet roads are not really "slick" or "slippery" so it will bind. When you have to do sharper turns, ie. parking, just turn it off and park. There really is not any reason to use 4x4 in the rain. If you are still running stock Goodyear tires that is your problem (in regards to lack of traction) buy some new tires and you should be perfectly fine in 2wd in the rain on pavement.

usally in the rain or wet condition. I tend to spin out the rear tires thats why I turn on the 4x4, and I do have the factory set of tire on.

You don't need 4wd in the rain, just go a bit easier on the gas. Make sure your tires have good tread on them, and are properly inflated, and you'll be fine.

Eh, I got it way sideways today in the rain, making the sharp right and immediately up the steep hill to my house (gotta give it gas). Happens all the time and I've got good tires. But yeah, don't use the 4wd in the rain...or get a regular Explorer with the full-time 4wd.

Lol, got mine to spin to 4th before it finally caught in the rain. I think I went all of 20-30 feet before I made it to 4th. Probably won't do it again, but it was quite fun.