844lb Shark caught off the Florida panhandle..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One I married into ownership of, one I purchased from family, the other the husband I purchased together. Each serves a specific purpose. So, yes, I paid for them. Just like I pay for my ST which is the vehicle by which I have the means to aquire money through travelling to my job, my boat is a vessel by which I have the means to aquire food through fishing.

In fact, just last night we limited out on Snook. It cost us $10 in gas. Nothing more. We will be eating fresh fish tonight and the rest will rest in our freezer and will be taken out for several more meals. All-in-all, we will get about 5 or 6 meals out of what essentially cost us $10. Works for me....

All-in-all, we will get about 5 or 6 meals out of what essentially cost us $10.

...plus the cost of boat depreciation. Which is a real cost, regardless of how you came into ownership of the boat you used.

I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't do your fishing the way you do--In this discussion, I'm definitely fully on your side. But from an accounting perspective, you're significantly underestimating the cost of that fish.

Bill, I get what you are saying, but as I see it a vehicle/vessel only depreciates if you look at it as an asset. For me, I do not. I have no plans to sell/replace my boats and they cost me nothing as they are paid off. They are each used frequently (at least once a week at many time during the year). When we can no longer use a boat because we want a new one and/or it breaks down beyond repair, it will not be something that I will sell. More than likely, it will be donated to a local cheritable organization. I will have my fun with it, catch lots, eat lots, and have many memories which are priceless.

Regardless, I respect what you are saying, and completely understand. Some people choose to spend their extra money on collecting odds-and-ins that just sit on a shelf. I choose to spend my extra money on fishing, which actually returns something to me. Too each their own I guess... :D

they cost me nothing as they are paid off.

Not true. You could sell them if you wanted to. The money from that sale could be used for other purposes--investments, leisure, home, etc. Foregoing those other purposes is the cost of owning the boat. From an accounting/cost determination standpoint, the boat is an investment, and the cost of that investment needs to be accounted for in the cost of the product (fish)--both the depreciation cost of the boat (depreciation), and the lost potential revenue from the investments you could make if that money wasn't tied up in the boat. If/when you donate it, the remaining value of the boat can be treated as a charitable contribution, as that donation has actual value.

Again, I fully agree with you that you're taking the right approach on it, and that the memories are priceless. But when assessing the actual cost of the fish, it's necessary to get more clinical in the evaluation.

OK, that said--can you ship me some fresh dolphin? The stuff in the stores here in Minnesota is plenty old, and, simply put, is crap. When I lived in Miami, the fresh stuff I had after a day on the Atlantic was to die for. If it's at all a realistic possibility (yes I am serious), e-mail me at biggbill at hotmail dot com, and let me know what it would cost you.

Bill - We are fresh out of dolphin right now. It was a crummy summer for fishing offshore compared to most. A lot of the weekend tournaments were cancelled due to weather and the seas have been rough most weekends. We are hoping to go out and get some fresh cobia soon, and if we get really overzealous, we'll go out for some dolphin as well. For now we've been enjoying snook season, but it's been tough. They've cut the slot to a 4" window (28"-32"). It's like winning the "fish lotto" now to catch a keeper.

I'll keep you in mind though if we get a chance to head out offshore for some fall schoolies. ;)

Thanks Jen!

And we should probably point out for the uninitiated, before the hate posts start coming in--When we're discussing "dolphin", we're not talking about eating Flipper! We're talking about the dolphin FISH (also known in some parts as mahi-mahi or dorado), not the dolphin MAMMAL. Two completely separate species.