A/C - Heater to intake ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Schultz

Reaction score
What would happen if I took my A/C or heater going to the cab and diverted (tied into the duct work) and run duct work to the air intake? In the summer I would put a little cold air into the intake -- in the winter I would put warmer air in.

I am not talking about "forced" air.

Would it help MPG???

Terry

you would need to keep it at a good 50-60 degrees, thats almost the optimum temp...

I don't think the gains would worth the work...

Todd Z

TSSS,

Not one of your better ideas. :wacko:

You would decrease your mileage by always running your AC unit, and it would be uncomfortable riding in a hot truck.

You would not see any appreciable HP gain since you would have to have your foot into the throtle to see any difference and at WOT the AC cuts out defeating the purpuse of cooling the intake air.

Remember that you can only gain about 1 HP for every 10 degree you cool the intake air. So if you AC puts out 50 degree air when it's 90 degrees outside, you are only gaining a maximum of 4 HP under ideal conditions. Not exactly worth much for going to the grocery store and sweating your butt off. I would rather have the AC cooling me not my engine.

...Rich

I thought my simple no was good enough.... :lol::lol::lol::p:p

Todd Z

Lol, Todd always take the pure and simple, and I agree.I worked on my intake and experimented on outside air and inside engine compartment air.Bringing in air from outside in the summer does cool the intake down in town.but on the highway there is enough air coming in to keep it at outside temps even if it is taking engine compartment air. In answer to your question. You will increase horse power, but you will not gain mpg, at least anything noticable._Ron

Try putting a gas-powered leaf blower in your bed, and run a 4" clothes dryer hose up to the intake. When you need a little "Turbo-Action", you can fire up the leaf blower and hop in and blow the doors off whatever you are racing!

TSSS,

Great theory, bad idea!

Again, I will say, we don't have a Mustang, although we share a somewhat common

4.0 litre V-6 with them. We don't have a performance truck!!!

This is where I think some of us have a problem in posting about the reliability of our

'Tracs. Run them like the Devil, then complain when something breaks (Not Me, Though!).

Please, someone else chime in here, and let me know I'm not crazy, or bein' the bad guy!:D

Gavin, That was a senior seminar project of a kid in my auto program in college....

I wish I had the dyno results...

Todd Z