ABS sensors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
Is it easy to replace the ABS sensors myself or is this somehting I should have my mechanic do? My ABS have been activating alot when I slow down or come to a stop.

Well I had my front pads and rotors done not too long ago and my mechanic said that the sensors were not popping up on the pc to be replaced but I know people on here say that the ABS ring might need to be cleaned. What else could it be?

Rust on the reluctor rings? I see by your profile that you live in

Massachusettes, and the snow and salt can cause this problem

on some vehicles in Northern climates. May want to have this possibility

checked out. ;)

If they are not too bad, and this is what it is, usually a good wire brushing is

all it takes to clean the reluctor rings up.

joycie,

You should also check that the wires a plugged in and the plogs are not corroded. Also check that the mounting bracket is not bent since that area is exposed to road debris that can bend or damage the sensors and the wires. Cleaning the reluctor/tone ring should be the first step, and you can inspect the sensors at the same time.

If your sensors did not show up on the PC, you would be getting a constant ABS light. Since your ABS is activating intermittently, it's probably the reluctor and sensors that need a good cleaning.

...Rich

I had the exact same thing happen when I changed out my pads and rotors. Unfortunately, I've just been dealing with it and it has steadily gotten worse. I'm afraid I may have blown out the ABS module when I pushed in the caliper pistons for the new pads. I'm going to go the dealer when my wife's bonus comes in next month, but if you find out what is causing your problem sooner I'll give that a shot. Good luck!

Joycie, I finally made it to the dealer. Good news, bad news, of course. Good news is that all of my ABS modules (read REALLY expensive) are OK. The bad news is that Advance Auto gave me the wrong rotors when I replaced them. :angry: The reluctor ring on the new rotors has the wrong spacing (not enough), which was causing the problem. I took a picture of the two rotors, but haven't gotten it off the camera yet. I'll do that tonight so you can see the difference. I bit the bullet and bought the Motorcraft rotors from the dealer so I could replace them the next day. Everything is working fine now. :cool: :D

Edit: The incorrect/old rotor is on the left. If you look closely you can see that the piece of metal between the spaces on the old reluctor ring is much thicker than on the new rotor. Apparently, the larger gap is need to make the ABS function correctly.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen this happen several times on two wheel drive vehicles.

Since the rotors fit other vehicles, it is even more of an issue.

When replacing with new rotors, you MUST match the reluctor rings to your original rotors.

If not, and they are different, Your ABS will activate a slower speeds and drive you nuts trying to figure it out...

Kevin, That's exactly what happened too. I had never changed rotors on a vehicle with ABS before, so I didn't know to compare the reluctor rings.

It's been irritating the heck out of me for almost a year now because I've been too busy to do much troubleshooting. Not to mention the irritation of spending $100+ for the wrong rotors from Advance, $40 for new pads (I thought it might be the ceramics I installed), $70 diagnostic fee from the dealer, the $160 for the correct Motorcraft rotors, and finally, all the time to change out the rotors twice and the pads 3 times. :angry: :angry: :angry:

We all learn one way or another. Hopefully this will help others.

Sorry it cost you so much in the time and money...

Glad you have it working properly though.

I'm thinking this may be my problem. Do you happen to have the part number for the wrong rotors that Advance gave you?

C, Unfortunately, I don't. I got them close to a year ago and can't find the receipt. If you crawl under the Trac behind the front tires and use a small flashlight, you can see a small portion of the reluctor ring and should be able to tell if the gap is the right size. I'd say that the piece between the spaces on the new rotors is no more than 1/16", whereas on the old rotor it was closer to 1/8". I'll measure the old ones tonight to be sure.

The bad news is that Advance Auto gave me the wrong rotors when I replaced them.

I got them close to a year ago and can't find the receipt.

How long before you had issues Doug? The ones you say are incorrect look just like the ones I just put on from AutoZone and my 01 2wd has no issues at all with the ABS.

It'll be intersesting to see if the fault comes back with the new rotors.

Latest posts