AC compressor on when in vent

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor CAD

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that there was very cold air coming out of my vents when my selector switch was in Head/Feet vent position.

I opened the hood and quickly found a vacuum hose was off, but that doesn't have anything to do with this problem.

When I have the selector in OFF, nothing

When I move the selector to head only or feet only, nothing

When I move the selector to AC or defrost (both settings), I hear the compressor clutch solenoid click, the rpm's come up a bit and the air gets cold at the vents. All normal

However, when I move the selector to head and feet setting, the same click and rpm change and cold air!

Now I normally leave the selector in head and feet, so my compressor has been running just about constantly.

I pulled the fuse for the clutch solenoid and nothing would maqke it come on, so it is working fine.

What could be wrong, switch?

The A/C compressor operates in ALL except 2 locations, no matter you want heat or cold air.

This is done so the lubricant circulates within the A/C system for maintenance as well as prevents leaks due to seal drying out when not used long term, such as winter...

If thats true, doesn't it cause a power-robbing/low MPG condition?

I guess I will NEVER use head and feet vent position!