AC issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
Last year in June, my AC was blowing out "cool" air. Not much fun when we were on vacation in the Outer Banks. When I came back I took it in and had the system tested and recharged. Worked well the rest of the summer. Now that summer is here again, the AC appears to be blowing "cool" air again. The AC clutch is also cycling on and off rather quickly. After about 30 minutes the air coming out of the vents finally starts to cool down to lower then the outside air but it's still not getting ice cold like it did 2 years ago. Last night my buddy and I took a look at it but really wasn't sure how to test it out properly. We did pull the plugs on the AC and cycled the switch on and off. This morning it seems to be working much better, but it was only 70 on my way to work. Can someone point me in the right direction with testing out the system?

Buy a kit at an Auto Parts store with leak detecting refridgerant. Real easy to do. Sounds like you've got a leak somewhere. At least you may be able to find it and determine if you want to try the repair or have a shop do it.

yeah, You got a leak......

Todd Z

Got a name for this leak detecting refridgerant?> I might have to pick up one myself, just incase. Or is it best, just to say, this is what I need, and where is it lol

It can come mixed in the can with 134a, or you can just buy Leak detector, IT is Ultraviolet leak detector..

Autozone, pepboys, Any place that sells the refill kits..

Todd Z

if you do fix it yourself make sure you take it somewhere to have it evacuated. any water in the system when compressed with 134a (the refrigerant) turns to acid and eats at metal in the system, you also will need an ultraviolet light to see the florescent