Actor Patrick Swayze has died..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always felt he was a very under rated actor. My favorite probably being "Ghost", from 1991.

Had a surprisingly good vocal in the "Dirty Dancing" Soundtrack, from 1987, singing "She's Like the Wind". Excellent dancer too. Saw him interviewed on 20/20 or a similar program less than a year ago. Seemed very humble, yet strong and determined to overcome his serious illness. A good man.

Last edited by a moderator:
He survived two years with pancreatic cancer? The poor guy. It's the most painful type of cancer to have. The last patient I took care of with pancreatic cancer was getting 110 mg of morphine every HOUR and was still screaming in pain. The normal morphine dosage is 4 to 10 mg every 4 hours.

He smoked three packs a day. That's one of the things I remember about ALL the pancreatic cancer patients I've had over the years. They were all heavy smokers.

Roadhouse was another great Patrick Swayze movie.

He seemed like a neat guy. That pancreatic cancer sounds like a death sentence. Every one I've known who got it went down hill real fast, and suffered miserably too.

RIP - A great actor and an artist who deserves a tribute. I know they are practically just GIVING those away these days.

Very sad to see him lose this battle.

I had surgery at Johns Hopkins in July of 2006 for a tumor in my pancreas. The Whipple Prodcedure is a major operation and I can say I had the best doctor and best care available anywhere in the world. Amazing place !

The tumor was benign, but the surgery put me down for quite some time.

buzz

Great movie star. His crowning achievement though was the Chippendale scene on SNL with Chris Farley.

Did anyone mention Red Dawn, excellent movie. I thought Swayze was getting better. I liked him. They are currently working on a Red Dawn remake to take place in Chicago I believe. I guess if I had to pick a favorite it would be Roadhouse. For some reason I can sit through that movie again and again when I run across it on cable.

The "Red Dawn" remake is currently filming in Mount Clemens, MI, but the story takes place in Spokane, WA with teens fighting off a Russian/Chinese invasion.

<a href="http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story/Red-Dawn-Remake-Begins-Shooting-in-SE-MI/fAb07k_CykGAVuE8xWL9Jg.cspx">'Red Dawn' Remake Begins Shooting in SE MI</a>

Here's nice tribute to Swayze:

Patrick Swayze: Dude

Posted By Andrew Klavan On September 15, 2009

Not too many years ago, my wife and kids were out of town for a week so I, of course, instantaneously de-evolved into a primitive state, three days growth, moth-eaten t-shirt, visible body odor, the whole deal. And one night, I threw together a sandwich of, I don't know, live grubs and buffalo dung or something, and wandered into the television room to see what was on. And there was Road House, the kick-ass action flick starring Patrick Swayze. And I figured, yeah, Id watch fifteen minutes of that while I scarfed my food. Predictably, I couldn't turn it off and watched the whole thing.

Okay, so then a day passes, Great Fire crosses sky, Big Dark sinks over valley, I toss together a sandwich of dinosaur tongue and grass or whatever. Wander into the television room to see whats on and hey, what do you know, there's Road House, the kick-ass action flick starring Patrick Swayze! And I figure Ill watch fifteen minutes of that while I eat and, of course, I couldn't turn it off again and watched the whole damn thing again!

Patrick Swayze wasn't a great actor and he wasn't a great movie star, but he was something even rarer in today's stable of Hollywood actors. He was a dude! And he made good dude films. Road House, Point Break, Red Dawn, Black Dog. Even when he made chick flicks like Ghost and Dirty Dancing, they were more or less dude friendly because they had a dude in them as opposed to those so-called romantic comedies where some hapless wimp always has to apologize for being male in the end so he can live sheepishly ever after with the girl of his dreams.

Swayze was just a B-movie guy, I guess, but he was still a much cooler presence than most of today's top-line stars. Plus, in Road House, he uttered the line, "Pain don't hurt", an immortal piece of movie dialogue if ever there was one.

Anyway, I rarely watch any movie more than once, but I'll watch Road House and Point Break any old time. Swayze died of cancer yesterday at 57 and I was sorry to hear it. I hope and trust he's in dude heaven.

Good one, TJR. I totally forgot about that! Both of the "North and South" miniseries are great! I still enjoy watching them today. They just don't make good storytelling, captivating miniseries like that and "Roots" anymore.

Latest posts