After 108,000 miles - 2002 Sport Trac...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you loose a c clip it sucks badly. I hope that there wasn't alot of damage to the vehicle._Ron

Well, Also keeping the rear diff oil at the proper level and changing it helps. THE oil level is normally just below the axle shaft, SO the "C" clips rely on the spinning of the parts to throw oil on them to lube properly...

AND I see more Chevrolet's with this problem not Fords..

Todd Z

I'm glad that I didn't get hurt or hurt anyone. The axle did damage the fender and put skid marks on the rear side door as it was violently hurled out. I thought the c clip would have prevented this. However, that wasn't the case. As a came to a grinding stop in the Emergency lane, the tire still attached to the hub, brake drum, and axle passed me up and ended up to the left of the vehicle over in the grass. What a fucking ride to work. BTW, I was doing approximately 70 mph on the interstate going to work. Oh, I had 2 payments left.

Here' more pics at the dealership over here in New Orleans.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Has anyone been in your differential?

TOM, HOW DARE YOU! !!!! Thats a little personal, don't you think ??... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z

That leaking rearend lube look like it has had water in it. There is even rust on the axle slines. Have you driven through extremely high water ? If you find the gear faces pitted, your cheapest out woul be a complete assembly from a salvage yard...

I'm surprised no one else has caught the actual cause of failure:

Goodyear Tires!

RT/S's as well!

j/k

Good luck with that one.... same color and year as mine. Hmmm....