Aftermarket catalytic converter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has replaced the stock cat with and aftermarket high flow cat? I saw some universal ones on ebay for about $60 2.5" in/out.

Or has anyone replaced the cat with just a resonator?

check it out.. think it will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8018751868&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

perhaps, but here in canada we don't have as many emissions restrictions as the US. Could this be used instead of the stock cat?

It will not function s a cat at all. But if you don't have to worry about emissions controls, I would consider getting the Random Tech Y-pipe (it removes the pre-cats). You could then cut out the main cats and just put a pipe in their place. And you would have zero post ignition emissions controls. Your check engine light would probably come on as the two o2 sensors in the cat pipe would now have the same reading, this is telling the computer that the cats aren't working, or in your case, are missing.

Best option IMO, replace the Ypipe with a Random Tech pipe, replace main cats with Random tech cat pipe. This will probably be as free flowing as a piped exhaust, and your computer will be content. And you will still pas emissions controls, unless you live in California.

This will run you about $600, but you can do it in 2 $300 steps. As I recall, the Ypipe is about $300, and the Random Tech cat pipe is about $300. Much more expensive, but also a much better outcome. And unless I am mistaken, the RAndom tech parts come as bolt-on pipes, no cutting or welding. So not only are you removing the factory restrictive cats, you are also putting in larger, more free flowing pipes in thier place.

cheers,

That sounds like a more proper method... I think that would be the best route aswell.

Is there any ST owners out there that have done a complete intake/exhaust upgrade?

I mean Cold Air Intake, Mass Air Flow Sensor Upgrade, Headers, Y-pipe, High flow cat and cat back exhaust? I've got the intake and catback done and want to tap the complete system.. just wondering if it is all worth it?

Some here have done the Y-pipe in addition to the intake and cat-back exhaust. But it's widely believed that if you add a high flow cat, you'll have too little back pressure and lose low-end torque.

I've done the intake/exhaust/ y-pipe/ and the X-Cal tune from Wayne. I might be getting the JBA headers soon if I'm able to get a discount on them through a friend... and yeah all of it is worth it :D.

Last edited by a moderator: