Aftermarket center console shifter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
Has anyone thought about installing an aftermarket shifter in their ST?

My parents did it with their F-350. They installed an automatic floor shifter from an Aerostar van, and it looks pretty good. They then relocated the OD button to the dash next to the idiot lights. It works great, and theirs looks stock since it's a Ford part. What I want to do is a little more wild.

I'm thinking of installing something along the lines of a B&M MegaShifter, or a B&M Starshifter flushmounted (or close) into the center console under my computer screen, with the overdrive button on the tip of the handle. Unfortunately, I'll have to move my switch panel, and find a new place for my cupholder. One thing I'm curious of is whether or not I can use the ratchet function for 1st, 2nd, and ,3rd gears. In order to do this, I'd have to gut the inside of the center console, not that I use the rear vents or controls at all.

Had I thought of doing this a year ago, I would've taken the measurements and had Ryan build it differant. But I change my mind every five minutes anyway. :wacko:

[Broken External Image]:

Since the electronics of the ST really don't allow you to hold certain gears, and the electronics shift the tranny for you, it would be like the his/her sifter in most of todays cars.

It would be a cool mod, and i think worth it for looks.

The only neg i see is the indicator in the column not working and possible reverse light issues ( which you could re wire, and neutral safety switch issues.

I know b&M makes new switches that can be mounted to the shifter for these functions..

Todd Z

I've been thinking about doing the same thing but haven't been able to find a floor shifter conversion kit for the ST. Please keep me in the loop with your progress on this project.

On older transmissions it was easy to go from column to floor...it was just a matter of getting a floor shifter and hooking up the linkage, but with computer controlled trannys, I'm not sure if it's as easy anymore. I'm wanting to take mine off the column, mainly because I'm eventually going with an aftermarket column and it would look best not having the shifter up there. I'm not found of the way many aftermarket units look, so I may have to harvest parts from one in order to get it done.

Shouldn't be too hard. The MegaShifter uses a kit to change older linkage driven systems to cable driven ones. With the 5R55E being cable driven already, that should make it easier.