Aftermarket Rotors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yardsale

Reaction score
’01, Job 1, 4WD.

So, I’m looking for aftermarket brake rotors. I see slotted, drilled, slotted and drilled and slotted with diamond slotted. I think I want slotted.

What I haven’t found is a rotor manufacturer that also manufactures pads, or that recommends a particular pad for the rotors they manufacture.

What is working well? What brand and style are you using, and with what pad?

Thanks

I have the Powerslot Rotors on my 01 job 1 2wd. Explorer Express recommended Performance Friction Pads. The set up is fantastic. Better stopping, smooth and quiet. I went with slotted only since I heard that slotted can be resurfaced.

Yardsale,

Brake pads do not require special rotors, nor do rotors require spcial brake pads. It all depends upon how you intend to drive your vehicle.

Slotted rotors are a big improvement over the stock rotors, however "Drilled" rotors are not recommended for street use because the drilled holes tend to promote cracking after extended heating and cooling cycles over time. Beveling the edges of the drilled holes will help reduce the cracking but cannot eliminate it. The drilled holes weaken the rotor and shorten the life of the rotor. This is not a problem in a full race vehicle since it is assumed that the rotors will be changed very frequently.

As for brake pads, the better quality pads are made of either carbon or ceramic materials. The will usually be slotted and have beveled edges. Both carbon and ceramic pads work well on the street howeverceramic pads are usually not recommended for towing. This only applies to towing heavy trailers for long distances. I'm sure an occassional use of a utility trailer to haul some mulch or lumber from the home center would not cause any problems.

I have used carbon metalic pads on my 2001 Sport Trac and found that they improved the stopping power with less fade and less pedal pressure.

I would recommend slotted rotors with carbon metalic pads and braided stainless steel brake hoses (at least on the front) and you will get the best bang for your buck$$.

...Rich

Excellent!

I kind of forgot about SS brake lines - relatively inexpensive for a bit of improvement.

Thank you.

Latest posts