Air bag light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Thompson

Reaction score
Firedog had a similar problem with his airbag light and Todd Z was able to help out but I have not heard any results.

Here is the problem

My airbag light just started flashing with a 4-2 code repeated 4-5 times and then on solid. from Todd the code should relate to LH radiator primary crash sensor feed/ return circuit open. However I have not been near this area and not touched anything close. The commonality is I too have installed corner strobes in the marker lights, (Volunteer Firefighter). I am curious as to the only two people with this issue posted here and both running corner strobes in their trac with this problem.

Anyone out their able to help??

Strobes are not going anywhere and I can live with the light being on just as long and the airbags will function if I need them. I have seen plenty of accidents and I have never pulled a dead body out of a vehicle with a seat belt on and air bags. I like this feature. It has worked for alot of people.

I would get the air bag experts on it. Dealer I guess:lol:..

I was reading an article recently that there have been alot of air bag failures in the last few years. Failures are not geared toward any one brand of auto or truck..

IF the airbag light is on the system WILL NOT FUNCTION in an accident, You need to get it fixed ASAP !!!

As far as how to diagnose it, It requires some special tools and testers, IT also could be a faulty sensor. I have seen people drop things on the front sensor or pull or pinch the wires and not know it...

The problem is if you don't know what your doing you will set the air bags off in the truck...

That would be a very costly mistake...

Let a shop or the dealer fix it asap...

Todd Z

Often, builders will use a combination sensor that will be applicable for all three locations in the front even though it is a single sensor. I believe this is the case for the Trac as well.

So the sensor could have a minimum of three code possibilities even though it is a single unit...

Sometimes the sensors simply go bad. Had it happen on the same Lincoln I just referenced in the head gasket thread.

Code 42 - Restraint System — Impact Sensor Status (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Fault) could be anything from a failed sensor to wiring.

The front impact severity sensor is located on the lower radiator core support next to the hood latch support bracket.

I would keep my fingers crossed that it was just a poor ground and with the key OFF, I would loosen and retighten the mounting bolt.

I can't stress the key OFF part enough!!!!!!

I had a wiring loom under the seat fail in my old 99 Explorer. Dealer wanted 500ish for the repair. But can get very pricy.

Drgnslyr I just responded to you by email but will post here too. The dealer replaced my sensor under warranty. I do not know what caused the problem but that fixed it. I dont think it had anything to do with the strobes.

Latest posts