Air Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Torres

Reaction score
How often do you change your air filter? I was waiting until 30K (base on service manual that came with my ST) but I just checked it and at 25K miles it was extremely dirty. It looked it probably should have been changed 5K-7K miles ago.

Get a K&N or other similar type of filter and you'll never have to change it again, just clean and re-oil it at about 50,000 miles.

I just ordered a AirAid cold air intake from Nasty Nate at 4 Wheel Parts. I chose the AirAid because of its superior construction & less oil on the filter to clog up the MAF sensor. I should have it by Mon. or Tues. next week. Check it out, I think you'll be as impressed as I am. K&N is a good filter, but there are better ones out there if you do a little homework. :)

I've never heard of the AirAid before but it looks good. Much cheaper then the K&N. Just a little higher then what I paid for my MAC. Doubt if there is any difference between them for performance. Especially on the Trac. It's not exactly a high performance vehicle to begin with.

Our ST is getting closer to having more performance because I've flashed it with a performance tune from Wayne Foy. Now to just get the Flex-a-lite 180 Extreme electric fan on, and I'm looking at a Flowmaster setup. I am going for quiet & gas milage, not speed. :D

JohnnyO do you remember what you spent on the last Napa Gold filter you ordered. I got the one I used for the dealer (I was already there for other stuff) and it was $22. It seemed pretty high to me but I figured I was already there.

JohnnyO do you remember what you spent on the last Napa Gold filter you ordered.

No but when I get back to my office I'll try to remember to look. I don't think it was $22 though. I'm self-employed so I keep receipts for everything for the day when the IRS comes knocking. (OT: Can we get that national sales tax instead so I don't have to keep filing cabinets full of useless crap I don't need anymore?)

Receipt says $23.02 list, I paid $13.91 incl. tax. (If anyone is wondering why I already had to get an air filter for an '05, well there was that little off-road excursion and an inviting mud hole.... :D ) The NAPA Gold unit looks identical to the OE filter actually.

Purolator air filters are just repackaged Motorcraft filters. The Purolator rep told me they buy 'em from Ford right now and just repackage them. You can even see where they blacked out the Ford part number with ink.