Alignment Help Needed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ark Hoot

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I visited the local tire joint today to get a new set of shoes and a four wheel alignment.

Got a new set of Firestone Destination LE tires for a total of $445 including balancing, taxes and old tire disposal fees. 265/70/16. They are a replacement for the same type of tire that I got 65,000 miles out of. I never rotated them although I checked the air in them at each oil change. I never had a flat although one of the tires had a roofing nail in it for about 10,000 miles. It wore the head off, but I never repaired it since it never lost any air. So I felt good about the former tires and I went for the same type again. I considered getting the new Michelin Cross Terains, and Walmart had them for $170 each plus taxes and fees. I could not bring myself to spend almost $350 more for tires that might not last as long. I figure I can replace the Firestones again for the same amount of cash.

They were going to charge $44 for the alignment but said they could not do it since they did not have the camber kit on hand. They want me to bring it back soon for that. They checked the ball joints, and all other components and insured me nothing is needed except the camber kit.

Here is my question: Can I order the components online and install them myself and then take the Trac back for the alignment? If so can someone lead me to the right company and right part numbers?

Thanks for the help. My 2003 XLT just passed 172,000 and looks inside and out a 9 out of 10. I intend on keeping it for a long while into the future. It is as strong as new with the only component being exchanged being the battery. I occassionaly check out ebay in hopes of finding an Adrenlin, which might cause me to upgrade one day.

They might not want to deal with it since you did on your own. But i think they should

I went to the dealer at night, and dropped off my 2004 4X4 ST, so they could do it right away in the morning. I requested a 4 wheel alignment,they did that for 80 bucks. Then they told me that there was a suspension concern and the camber/caster had to be adjusted for 90 dollars:wacko:. Anyone else have similar charge and service done?

George T.

I have an 02 4x4, with 85K miles, replaced tires about 10k ago. I have noticed that the inner most row of tread on both front tires to be wearing alot faster than the rest of the tire tread. I have seen a thread or two about this issue on here about having the front end aligned with specific settings, and Todd Z posted those a while back, but I have not searched for them yet due to lack of time at this moment Hopefully Todd Z will check in and respond with some good info shortly.

I have an 04. I have seen the same uneven tire wear especially in the front. It seems to me that the front tire almost tilt inward from the weight of the engine.

I wonderif stiffer shocks in the front would elimiate that problem.

Any thoughts?

JB

Jason B,

It is not the weight of the engine. It is the camber adjustment. Part of wheel alignment.

:huh:Some good comments, but no real help given to answer the questions. Let me ask again in case the questions were buried in the lenghty post.

I would like to order the parts needed on line and install them myself. Can someone suggest a supplier and parts numbers?

Thanks so much for the help.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/SPC-FRONT-CAMBER-CASTER-KIT-EXPLORER-RANGER-SPORT-TRAC_W0QQitemZ360007786423QQihZ023QQcategoryZ33581QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">This is a link to the parts you need</a>

You'll get them cheaper from Summit. Ingalls part number is 29000, runs $20 a set, and you need 2 sets, so $50 shipped from a reputable store.

You should be able to go to NAPA or CarQuest and pick them up for the same price, and probably get them right away. Just tell them you need a camber kit for a 2003 ST.