Alignment Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
The alignment on my '96 taurus is WAY out. Major pull to the right, steering wheel does not return center, significant tire wear on inside edge, etc.

I need the car to last another year or two. I've already sunk almost $1k into it in the last 3 months (hence why the alignment is out I believe)

How likely is it that I can get the alignment at least closer to correct at home with a tape measure? Am I going to be causing more harm than good?

What does an alignment job even run anymore?

Anyone hiring part-time for an engineer so I can pay for the repair bills?:lol:

The only thing you can correct with a tape at home is the toe.....

If there is a bent frame , bad suspension part, Etc it could be worse...

Do the tape thing and throw a used tire on there......

Basic alignment here is 50-80 bucks.... Thats providing they will do it if there is a front end issue..

Todd Z

Many years ago I worked at a place called Brake Check. I liked using them for front end alignments because they had a lifetime alignment, and they didn't seem to care if I brought it in with worn parts or not. So I would get it aligned, buy a new front end part as I could afford it, replace it, and get it re-aligned for free.:) I think they won't do that anymore, though!:(

Here are some links to learn about alignments I found.

You can do a rough camber check with a plum bob and a tape. If you know some math, you can figure out the angle and adjust accordingly.

The first link looks like it includes how to make basic caster/camber and toe gauges. I've got both and they can be a bit frustrating to use, but work for "close enough".

I just got the front-end aligned on the '07 Focus for $59. It would have been more for all fours, but only $10 more (total of $69). I just got new tires, the old ones wore on the insides.

They adjusted the toe of the fronts only. The other two (camber and caster) were within spec and the rears were fine.

I'm suspect many Fords come off the line misaligned.

TJR

I didn't have (or at least didn't notice) a problem until after my hub assemblies were replaced. I had the rotors turned because of brake pulse (which didn't go away) and when I got back from a 500+ mile trip I noticed the significant wear. The steering wheel is around 10-15 degrees of left steer when the car is running straight.

As an engineer, the math is not a problem. I've though about using a laser level and taking a look at different aspects and comparisons between front and rear and left and right.

(sigh)

oh well.... what's another $60 on a 13 year old car...

Latest posts