Alignment shop in San Diego?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop for a front end alignment here in San Diego? Everywhere I call they either don't know anything about the Tracs, or they say that I need a full "cam bolt kit", part #87500, and from what I understand, the 2004's just need cams. One place will do a reading with printout for $35, but that seems steep.

Thanks.

There is no way of knowing if you actually need to have the cam bolts installed unless you have the alignment checked 1st. Are your tires wearing unevenly? Is the vehicle pulling to one side or another? There are a lot of shops in the San Diego area, could you be a little more specific as to a location that is close to you.

Doesn't first Generation just have the locking washer that you can pull off and discard to change the camber? (Or maybe that is 4x4s only?)

Last edited by a moderator:
My front tires were worn on the inside. I replaced just the fronts with used tires in good shape. I want to sell the vehicle and am looking for a 2010 Sport Trac (white XLT).

If I have the alignment checked, I'll pretty much have to go with their recommendations, b/c I'll already be on the hook for $35 minimum just to check alignment, and every place I've called has said that they'll have to install a cam bolt kit on my '04 Sport Trac, and they won't just install washers. $50 for the kit, $40 to install them ($20/side), $55 for the alignment. So over $150 said and done to align my vehicle before I sell it. Steering wheel is centered, it doesn't pull.

I'll go anywhere in San Diego to find a good shop, I use American and European in OB but they don't do alignments. Thanks.

No free alignment checks in your area? I assume this applies to stock height ST's only.

When you removed the nut on the upper control arm bolt, the next thing that came off was a square plate with an off-center hole. All that I do is remove those plates, install a flat washer, and slide the arm where it needs to be and reinstall the nut. No "kits" required. Been doing that since mid 2002 when that style upper arm bolt was introduced. Prior to that, FOMOC cams, or aftermarket adjusters were required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the thing. There isn't a shop in existence that can tell you over the phone that you without a doubt need to have the camber kits installed UNLESS they have current alignment readings to go with. Go and get the alignment checked, if it doesn't need to have the kit installed they can just continue with setting the toe and your done or maybe you only need to have one side done. Nothing in life is free. If your not willing to pay to find out what is going on with your vehicle then why even worry about it all.

I'm perfectly willing to pay to have my alignment "checked", it's just that I've never done that (I've taken other cars in to have aligned, but not my Trac, so it is probably way overdue). However, some forum members here say that there should be shops that will just check it w/o charge.

More importantly: One member above: "Doesn't first Generation just have the locking washer that you can pull off and discard to change the camber?" So far the shops I've called say I have to buy the full kit, but several respected knowledgeable forum members say it's not needed on the '04. I trust these forum members more than the shops, who may be trying to make an extra $90 (cost of kit, plus installation each side) on a $55 alignment job. I can buy a kit on my own, at a place giving a small Firefighter discount, but I don't want to buy a kit if it's not necessary. I'll probably just take it in to Dualtone near Mission Bay. Anyone have any recommendations for / against them, or of another alternative? Thanks.

Try Cherniss Tire World on Broadway in Chula Vista.

They have replaced tires and did the alignments on my '02 when I had it as well as my '07. I don't ever recall them talking to me about replacing a cam bolt kit on either car.

My vehicles were/are stock as far as suspension goes. I did have larger tires on the '02 though. Both vehicles are 2WD.

Good luck.

Lou..

Went to Johns Automotive Center in San Diego. They aligned the front end, w/o needing a kit. They did say to get it "perfect" it would need one, but the printout shows within tolerances, so it's not worth it. $55, seems like a good shop.

FYI: John's Automotive Center which was on Miramar Rd. has been bought by new owners and is now called Miramar Family Auto Service. Read Yelp reviews. I have not gone to the new place. There is a John's Automotive Care in San Diego but they are not affiliated; $90 to check alignment.

i just took my trac to get it aligned and they said everything was in to specs, they gave me a print out of the numbers and charged me nothing, when i lived in oregon the les shwab charged nothing to look at my trucks to see if alignment was needed. i would look else where, most tire shops do them or refer you to someone.

Places I've looked so far in San Diego charge alignment fees of $60, $85, and $90 (I've only checked places to which I've been personally referred to). I will start making calls to see if there are any local shops which will check alignment w/o charge and give me a printout (my tires seem good), I don't like the idea of a shop telling me I "need a kit" to complete the alignment when it seems, based on this forum, that I don't need a caster / camber kit for a 2004 (build date AUG 2003).

ya got the right idea calling and checking and you can look up reviews for shops, as far as needing shims that would be the shop telling you and showing why, normally you can tell by the tires if something is up, you sound like you check pressure on a regular basis, hopefully its a simple fix, if i was selling the truck i would tell buyer that he might check after purchase, should not reflect on selling price. unless its shaking bad it is not a danger to buyer. would not deter me from buying.

Places I've looked so far in San Diego charge alignment fees of $60, $85, and $90 (I've only checked places to which I've been personally referred to). I will start making calls to see if there are any local shops which will check alignment w/o charge and give me a printout (my tires seem good), I don't like the idea of a shop telling me I "need a kit" to complete the alignment when it seems, based on this forum, that I don't need a caster / camber kit for a 2004 (build date AUG 2003).
How much do they charge to just check it

ya got the right idea calling and checking and you can look up reviews for shops, as far as needing shims that would be the shop telling you and showing why, normally you can tell by the tires if something is up, you sound like you check pressure on a regular basis, hopefully its a simple fix, if i was selling the truck i would tell buyer that he might check after purchase, should not reflect on selling price. unless its shaking bad it is not a danger to buyer. would not deter me from buying.
I just replaced everything in the front end, I mean everything and it cost $90.]] For my alignment plus one side needeshim or washer to be able to adjust it. Ended up $120.00

I just replaced everything in the front end, I mean everything and it cost $90.]] For my alignment plus one side needeshim or washer to be able to adjust it. Ended up $120.00
What year (and production date) is your Trac?

I use Dan's Precision Alignment in Encinitas. However he charges $100 for the job. I got the "you need a camber kit" speech from a different shop before that. I just put it on myself, on the wrong side and then put another one on myself on the right side. Dan did it all up and now the alignment feels real good. I too was kind of put out "how could ford make a car that can't be adjusted as the suspension ages", well they did!

As far as cost goes, this is San Diego, everything costs top $$ and in my experience if you cheap out you get something worse than useless.

I have got to the point now where i take my cars for an inspection. Get a list of things that are shagged, replace them and THEN take it for an alignment. I routinely get my cars rejected "no point in doing an alignment with all those worn out parts"

Latest posts