All-New 2015 Ford Mustang

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
FoMoCo unveiled the new 2015 Mustang today. I like it. What do you think?

be8a4cf9e977f41c77379598b4d6ec04.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4YzdTldKvoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look very practical. Probably sucks off road. Cargo capacity is very limited. Rear seat looks kind of tight.

No thanks. I'll keep my Trac.

Yeah, I like the '07 style better. Too Euro looking to me. Looks pretty good from the front but the rear is ugly

Every time I see it, I'm liking it more. I can't wait until they hit the dealerships. I am due for a new vehicle next year.:D

For me that grew up with the 'stang from the first one. I like this one much better than the the last couple of years.

As far as getting a little euro. Like it or not. American cars are headed that way. I see the '15, as a mix.

Mark, I hear you about your '95. I kick myself for selling my '94.

[Broken External Image]:

I would think that Ford learned something when they did the retro restyle of the Mustang in 2004 and the car has been selling like hot cakes ever since. I realize that there needs to be some changes but Ford always seems to overdo it and it starts looking less and less like a Mustang.

The 2015 still has some resemblance to the retro style, but I hope they don't go down the road they did with the Mustang II, and the other Fox Bodied Mustangs of the 1970's through the 2002 model years.

...Rich

If you know anything about past Mustangs and look closely, you'll see elements of previous generations of them in the 2015:

Note the LED light "gills" just forward of the headlights. They're reminiscent of the "gills" in the headlight buckets on the '64 1/2-'66.

The broad haunches and wide, muscular hind quarters and rear window seem to me to be inspired by a similar design on the '69-'70 Sportsroof/fastback models.

And the 3D design of the rear tail lights is definitely a nod to the tail lights on the '69 Mustang.

And Richard L, don't be so quick to knock the Mustang II. It was the right car for the times, and probably saved the Mustang from discontinuation. In fact, the '74 Mustang II is the second-best selling Mustang of all time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pxg90JdtPFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The more I see of it the better I like it. The styling changes will be a little controversial but every time the Mustang has been restyled the same thing has happened. You simply can't please everyone. To me the body is a nice mix of new and just enough retro that few people would not recognize it as a Mustang. The only questionable styling issue for me is the rear quarter window treatment which is okay but not very Mustangish. I think the mechanical upgrades are going to make this the best handling and driving Mustang ever. There is an all new front suspension design and of course the big news is the change to IRS. With the expected power increase for the 5.0 and the slight weight reduction I think the base GT will have similar performance and a smoother yet more controlled ride than even the 2012/13 Boss 302 which has been heralded as the best driver's Mustang of all time.

TrainTrac,

Mustang II was a disaster and only lasted about 3 years. It would have been better to discontinue the Mustang for those years...just like the GTO, 442 Olds, etc. The Camaro continued in production for all those lean years and still sold well. Then GM discontinue the Camaro in 2002 and brought out the retro version in 2010 and it has been a big hit.

I think the Mustang II was to small and never was very popular. I don't think that Ford wanted to save the Mustang at the expense of loosing money. In 1976 they introduced the Fox body Mustangs which were way too boxy for my tastes but they sold better than the Mustang II which most people hated.

I think it's better to just drop a model name than try to modify it's image too much. GM tried to reinvent the GTO and claimed that it was not intended to be another retro version of the old GTO...They claimed they wanted to go after the BMW market? The new GTO was a major flop. Technically it was a far better car than the early GTO of the 1960's but it was wrapped in an Australian made body style that just did not fit the GTO muscle car image. I thought it looked like something that Hyundai or Suzuki would make. The end results was that they only lasted for 3 model years and shortly there after GM needed to borrow Billion$ in the infamous Bailout.

You may have liked the Mustang II, but most Mustang fans at that time didn't....Ford lost money on the Mustang II and they were cheap junk. It's rare to see old restored Mustangs on the road now, and even rarer to see a Mustang II restored...except for a few avid fan or in museum collections....like the Ford Museum.

...Rich

Rich, I think you need to rethink some of your facts. While the Mustang II has been vilified over the years since it was replaced by the Fox body for the 1979 model year, the fact is that over its four year production run from 1974 to 1978 Ford sold 1,107,718 Mustang IIs. During its first four years from 1979 to 1982 the supposedly more popular Fox body sold 954,228 units. I would hardly call either of those a sales "failure". The Mustang II was the right car for the time. I witnessed those years. Everyone had lost interest in muscle cars and the insurance companies made sure everyone's interest stayed low. We had also just suffered through the Arab oil embargoes and the resultant steep rise in gas prices. If anything, the Mustang II allowed the Mustang to survive with no interruption in production for what will soon be 50 years, which is a record. No other production car can match that and I think it is an important part of the Mustang mystic and something for fans of the brand to be proud of. I was never personally a fan of the Mustang II but it is an undeniable part of Mustang history and it is a pretty accurate reflection of the automotive market place at the time.

Something else to consider: in the previous four years before the Mustang II, from 1970 to 1973 (the last year of the "classic" Mustang) the Mustang sold 601,054 total units which is 506,664 units less than the four year production of the Mustang II.

Source: MUSTANG by Peter Henshaw copyright 2006

Mustang II was a disaster

I think the Mustang II was to small and never was very popular

You may have liked the Mustang II, but most Mustang fans at that time didn't.

On what are you basing these statements? Because, the production numbers posted by blksn8k seem to suggest the exact opposite; just as I said in my earlier post.

Also recall that Mustang wasn't first designed/marketed/sold as a performance or muscle car. It was designed as a "lifestyle" car and chief components of its original marketing were fuel economy and freedom. Ford even heavily targeted women with the original Mustang, marketing it as a "secretary's" car in some ad campaigns. The performance image/heritage didn't really come along and take hold until Ford asked Carroll Shelby to beef up the Mustang's image, giving birth to the GT350.

Does anyone have a clue as to what those small reverse scoops at the front corners of the hood are for? Lights or gauges? Air exit vents? The video didn't seem to have any view that showed the well enough to tell.