Alternator Upgrade Maybe>?... Update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
Hello all. I own an 04 ST. I just currently hit the mark of 97k miles. Today I just finally replaced the OEM battery. I am thinking with all the other add-ons I have on the truck, maybe an upgrade to the alternator.

So, I ask, am wondering? Would it be a good idea to do an upgrade from the factory amp alternator? And if so, what brand or where can it be gotten from? If not, should I just replace to another OEM alt?

I'm not having charging issues. I am only concerned with the add-ons I have, that it might be drawing to much from the alt/battery.

Conditions of the draw: Radar Detector, HID Head lights, 5 Farad Cap, aftermarket AMP, and three 7" TV screens.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your ST has a 130 AMP alt in it now...

Todd Z

There was a TSB on an alternator howl that was solved by using an alternator out of a 4x4 Explorer. I had it replaced under warrenty, but I know it was supposed to be more amps.

Believe it or not , the 5 Farad cap helps out on the battery and Electrical System. It'll draw/pull from the cap quicker than the battery.

Kinda like when your playing the stereo loud, and your lights dim when BIG BASS hits. The CAP will Stop the lights from dimming cus it'll draw power from there quicker and more efficiently than the battery...

If i'm wrong someone correct me. just my own experience with them. and i onl had a 2 farad cap a while ago.

rob

After 97,000 miles and five years I would say his alternator is handling everything just fine...

jon- i'm curious why you would say it is a bandaid? not trying to question your thought but can you explain, maybe i'm thinking in a wrong manner...

rob

Latest posts