Always in the middle of a dang blizzard... HELP!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
All right, the Trac is fine in 2x4, smooth, power, accelleration, all great, no problems.

I put it in 4 High and when I hit about 40MPH it feels like I'm constantly driving over rumble strips, or the groove strip in the shoulder lane that vibrate and rumble in your car to tell you you're about to go off the road.

My feeling is that if it's the bearings, or CV joints, it would happen all the time, not just in 4x4. Unfortunately, it's about to blizzard outside and I need to get it parked, just in time for it to be snowed in.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks in advance.

P.S. Q, please don't say "Keep it in 2x4" :lol:

Later all.

Have you checked the fluids in your transfer case?

I had that same trouble with my 01 ST. It was under warr. and they changed the front drive shaft I think. I would have to look for the old paperwork to be sure. It happened 120 miles from home too! Had to limp home. Gary D. in CT

Re-thinking that. It might have been the front axle. Sorry, it was one or the other.:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than jacking up all 4 wheels, and spinning them, Can you do 4wd LOW??... How is it there...

I would guess a drive shaft or axle..... Can you grab the front axle and move it at the t-case or the front diff looking for play??

Todd Z

It's perfectly fine in 4 low... and it seems ok at times in 4 high. I'm noticing that it happens when decelerating, and I hit about 40, the vibration kicks in, and will stay there for a bit as I start to accellerate again. It does feel like driveshaft imbalance. I guess I'll not be using 4x4 and taking it in for a checkup one of these days. There's like 4" of snow on the ground now, so it'll be some time before I can get under there to look.

Thanks all.

Not tryin to be a wise ass, but why not go slow in 4wd high?? Ive personally never gone over 30-35mph in 4wd-cuz i figure if i need to use it, then i shouldnt be going too fast anways. If the snow is bad enough that you need 4wd, go slow and take care so you can stop and stuff..4wd does nothing to help you stop over a 2wd...

On a side note, the other day i noticed with the wheels off the ground i could spin the front driveshaft very easily, but not the rear- the rear had about an inch or so of play in it. is this normal?

Thanks and good luck

Andy

Andy, you mean turning play??

The front shaft does not turn all the time, and has alot less things attached to it inside the transfer case than the rear, I would say you felt the play in all the gears and t-case chain in the rear, and the front is only the front gears and axles...Normal IMO

Todd Z

Sounds like a bad universal joint in the front driveshaft.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING Gavin got it.

3 mechanics / dealers and 1 year later, the u-joint failed and killed the front driveshaft, while on a road trip, on the highway, in 2wd???

I love hearing, there's nothing wrong with your 4WD, everything's fine, yes the u-joint is fine, the driveshaft is fine. BANG, oh that joint is shot.

Anyway, got some great service from a Ford dealer away from home, they found a used shaft and a new joint to get me back on the road by the end of the next day. All's good now, nice and smooth.

The only thing I don't get is that it went out in 2WD... started with an odd rumble, which eventually ended up with a grinding crunch as I tried to limp to the next exit. Should the dang thing be spinning in 2WD?

Yes, the driveshaft spins in 4x2 mode.

The transfer case engages the front wheels. The old systems used both the transfer case and locking hubs. If your vehicle would get stuck, you had to go out and manually lock the hubs, then put the vehicle in 4x4 mode.

The new systems have eliminated the locking hubs. Without the locking hubs, the driveshaft will spin. Sure beats climbing out in the mud to put your vehicle into 4x4.

Tom