And for those that are waiting...(MUST READ)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Well, my 2002 Explorer Sport Trac is on jack stands.

The differential is coming apart and the axles are coming out. The drum brakes are being replaced with the Discs today.

I will post pictures as the day progresses.

Tom

I have a Ford Motorsport Kit.

I think the proce was like $200.00. Regular price is $325.00.

The left drum, axle, backing plate is off. The new backing plate/caliper bracket is on. the Axle is going back in and the other side will be started.

Beleve it or not, it is coming along pretty quickly.

Tom

Check part numbers. The 2002 Trac and 2003 Trac (one has Drums and the has Discs) have the same part numbers.

Tom

The one and only Summit Racing Equipment. It was in thier returns department. That is why I got it so cheap.

The left side is complete. The right side is coming along well. The new backing plate/caliper mount is done. I will be putting the axle back in and then putting the rotor on.

I have one dilema. Should I remove the Trick-Flow differential cover and get a clear one?

Tom

The Trick Flow cover has bolts that preload the axle bearings to provide extra support. Ultimatly, it comes down to looks.

Tom

You did do a 60-0 test with the drums and now to do a 60-0 test with discs so that we can tell the difference? :)

Seattle,

I did the brakes because I dislike drum brakes. They require too much maintenance and when they get screwed up, they are a pain to fix.

Tom

GOOD LUCK with it, KEEP us posted.....

I would keep the aluminum tf cover, Unless you want to sell it to me????

Todd Z

Well, the job is done. At the moment, I do not have parking brakes because the source I used to get part numbers must have been wrong about the brake cables. Everything else works great.

Was able to take it out on a test drive. First my brother and I went. After we came back, we kept our thoughts to ourselves. Theresa went for the next ride. After the first panic stp she loked at me and said that she could tell how much better it stops. She was amazed.

Overall, I am more then happy. The work and effort was well worth it.

If yiu are mechanically inclined, you can do it. It is alot of work. You have to drain the differential and you have to remove the axles. It is something that should be reserved for a full weekend. I was able to do it in about 7 hours. That included three trips to Autozone, two trips to Home Depot, and one trip to get beer.

Pictures will be posted after I get a shower.

Tom

Latest posts