Annoying belt squeek

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Ever since I blew through a snow drift about 3 feet high over the winter, I've had an annoying belt squeek when starting cold. Warms up everything is fine. I've narrowed the squeek to the belt simply by a quick spray of wd40 on the belt when the truck is running. the noise is gone after that. Then in the mornings its back. This is a second belt first one was replaced at 35K miles, trac currently has 78K miles. The belt does look worn or almost glazed. I do not have any leaks which would drip onto the belt.

Any idea's? I've heard all you need is a 3/8 ratchet. Is this correct? What's the part number on the motorcraft belt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im using the dayco poly cog #5060860.

I was using the gates #K060860

They are both .5" shorter than oem. They bite better. Especialy on the PS pump.

I went to the dayco when I installed the underdrive pullys. The dayco has cross cuts in the grooves.

I was still getting some slipage with the gates. Especialy on hard acceleration and turning in curves.

So far all is good with the dayco.

The half inch short makes sense, but the stock size/number of gates is 868. I thought the stock size is 86.5? Updated part number or error? I may go shorter.....

Also I think the motorcraft part number is JK6873EA?

Are the shorter belts harder to install? Never tackled a serp belt before.

Are the shorter belts harder to install? Never tackled a serp belt before.

No, there is more than enough movement in the tensonor pully.

First time I changed it I didnt have a long enough 3/8 drive bar for leverage. Had to use a pipe on the handle.

Since then I bought a kit from habor freight. It comes with everthing for any car.

Made the second change very simple. Nice kit will come in handy in the future for any car.

Big Al,

Are there any belt squeaks that are NOT annoying?? :grin:

If you hit a big snow drift, you might want to check the alignment of all the pulleys. It sounds like you may have bent a pulley or an accessory mounting bracket that has knocked a pully out of alignment. I would guess it's something low down on the engine.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about what RL said. Some members with gen1 tracs. Have had the rubber on the harmonic balancer go bad.

Latest posts