Another 4X4 module bites the dust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Hartman

Reaction score
My transfer case control module bit the dust yesterday. :( Went to put my 01 Trac w/107k miles in 4H and nothing tried 4L and nothing. The dash lights don't light up when I turn the key on and I don't even hear the module click anymore. After doing a lot of looking online and on this form I see the modules are notorious for going bad. I just ordered a new one off of Amazon $150. Sure glad I found out now and not when there is 6in of snow.

Mine went out when my truck was in my garage and there was 21 inches of new wet snow in the driveway. The plow guy was overwhelmed and said he couldn't get to my driveway until the next day. I tried backing out in 2WD, but almost buried the truck. I pulled back in the garage and searched eBay for a module. I found one for $102 from a Ford dealer in Las Vegas (I'm in Wisconsin). He had 20 modules for sale. I ordered one, then called him. I asked him to FedEx Next Day it to me. At 8 AM the next morning, FedEx delivered it and I installed it in my garage in ten minutes. I opened the garage door, put the truck in 4H and backed right out. The plow guy still hadn't come and didn't show up until 4 PM that day.

To be safe, I don't jump start other vehicles in 4x4 or start up my ST in 4x4... I shift to 2WD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you removing or replaced your battery recently? Has it died and you jumped it?

I only ask because doing those things wrong will fry the 4x4 module in the sport trac.

Todd Z

Todd I have not done anything to the battery nor jumped anyone. She just quit with no warning. I have since put the new module in and everything is back to normal. I notice that as soon as I cranked here over the 4x4 lights lit up. :) Was an easy 5 min replacement took longer to find my tools lol. Keep on Tracing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts