Another 4x4 Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Harwanko

Reaction score
I know that this subject has been explored before, but, How do I know if I have a bad 4wd Module? When I turn the selector to 4 Hi or 4 Low it does not light up, it does not engage, but I do hear a relay clicking on and off from the passenger kick panel (is this where the module is?) If this is the module and it has gone bad, is it easy to replace? From earlier posts I gather that it costs about $110. If it is not the module please let me know so that I don't waste the $

Thanks

That's a tough one... You DO have the clicking, but it's still not engaging. Could be the shift motor, but that's what was wrong with mine, and I didn't have the clicking...

I say get it put on a diagnostic scanner and it will tell you. Costs maybe $70, but it's quicker (and cheaper) than trying to figure out what's wrong. I wish I would've now... Would have been a lot easier than sitting for 45 minutes at chain control at 2:30 in the a.m. trying to get the 4wd to work! That alone would have been worth the $70!

And the 4wd module LISTS for $196.83

The shift motor LISTS for $224.97

Sorry I am unable to help. I know nothing about the 4x4 system.

Something you can do.

Go to http://www.fordcds.com and download the repair manual. You might be able to find a fix there. If you do, be kind and buy a repair manual from Ford.

You can get them at http://www.helminc.com

Tom

Hi guys,

After reading previous threads I was able to deduct that it is the shift motor that is bad. I did see the 4wd lights during start up (meaning that the module is good?). I then followed the suggestions of earlier threads by turning the selector to 4HI (in park), I then went under the vehicle and tapped on the shift motor. After a few taps the motor engaged and put the Trac into 4HI.....It then took me a half hour to get it back into 2wd.....I was on my lunch break! Anyway the dealer quoted me $300 for the part. After doing some searching on the web I was able to find the part for $109. I just wanted to pass on the link to help other members with a similar problem. It is the least I could do for all of the information you guys give me. Thanks!

Just wanted to let everybody know that I got the new 4wd shift motor in today. I just put it in over my lunch break. 4x4 is working fine now :D Thanks for all of the information provided on this site!:)