Another 5.0 v8 swap underway

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Sewell

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm posting this to let everyone know that I am undertaking the glorious trial of swapping a 302 from a 99 explorer into my beloved 02 Trac. I have read countless threads (here and ExForums) written by members at both places, hopefully the "book smarts" I've acquired help me actually get the swap done. I'm 21 years old and I'm doing this without air tools in my dad's driveway... So far I've gotten the v8 out, and noticed a few red flags - motor mount plate not bolted to the block on passenger side (mount bolts broken off in block), oil leaking from valve cover gaskets on driver side, mismatched/homemade all thread fasteners, and excess RTV bubbling out from under lower intake. I've got the v8 at a reputable shop to get proper top end seals. I also have the 4.0 out of my truck; I accelerated this project because my 4.0 decided to blow a head gasket right after I bought the donor Explorer. Everything from this point is rebuilding!! I'm beyond excited and love all the support I have between this site and ExForum. Keep it real guys, and if you have any info you want to offer, shoot me an email. So far, I'm aware of the VSS issue, wiring harness extension (C115/110), PATS (turned off in tune by previous owner, no chip in current key), ABS computer swap, and tach wire swap. I feel I've got a good handle on it, but I may run into little things along the way and that's where you guys come in. Thanks!

b71e10379234c3fcfb4f4a1db93d81b9.jpg

8f1354548311ec5edfd0bec8cddec4db.jpg

d3b42f97e1f6bb021909c846c44cd5f9.jpg

Awesome! Take lots of pics and let us know of any issues that you run into. I am planning to do this to mine in the near future so any motor/tranny model numbers would be helpful. Is this a 4WD swap?

^ Ditto above. May be some useful info in the thread linked below. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been too excited to take pictures of most of the disassembly.... Oops. It's a 2WD to 2WD swap, maybe I'll add 4wheel later but right now being in the South where it never snows I don't really need it. So far, the major issues I've encountered include the power steering rack needing to be swapped because of the threads on the v8/lack of threads on the ST and the ABS/speed sensor conversion differences between the 2. Rick (RangerSVT) and just1me on the ExForum are really helping me out with wiring diagrams and tips/tricks. So far, with what little mechanical experience I have, it has been relatively easy, just a lot of work. I haven't broken anything yet - knock on wood... The v8 was rebuilt poorly, and the motor mount bolts on one side are broken off inside the block and the seals are bad, but I'm letting a shop take care of that. I'm looking forward to having one of only a handful of Gen1 v8's on the road! I'll be happy to help to the best of my knowledge, and I'm sure Rick would be too.

I have been too excited to take pictures of most of the disassembly.... Oops. It's a 2WD to 2WD swap, maybe I'll add 4wheel later but right now being in the South where it never snows I don't really need it. So far, the major issues I've encountered include the power steering rack needing to be swapped because of the threads on the v8/lack of threads on the ST and the ABS/speed sensor conversion differences between the 2. Rick (RangerSVT) and just1me on the ExForum are really helping me out with wiring diagrams and tips/tricks. So far, with what little mechanical experience I have, it has been relatively easy, just a lot of work. I haven't broken anything yet - knock on wood... The v8 was rebuilt poorly, and the motor mount bolts on one side are broken off inside the block and the seals are bad, but I'm letting a shop take care of that. I'm looking forward to having one of only a handful of Gen1 v8's on the road! I'll be happy to help to the best of my knowledge, and I'm sure Rick would be too.

I hate posts like this, WHY? Jealousy, Stupid NY laws will not allow this unless the motor is newer then the truck.

Todd Z

Has to fuel injected and able to pass emissions in NY...... Would have to go 50 Coyote complete.

Or an eco boost.

Todd Z

Here in Carroll county GA, we don't have to pass emissions, don't have to have cats on it if you don't want them, swap any year you like.... Bunch of rednecks down here would pitch a fit if they changed that.

I hear ya...... Or I can just Waite for the truck to get 25 years old. Then I can do what ever then.... NY sucks.

Todd Z

Latest posts