Another check engine light question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Polk

Reaction score
So I changed the serpentine belt today and now the check engine light is on. :unsure:

Every thing is put back together like it was before.

Help please!

04 ST XLT 4x2

Are you sure you did not forget the MAF plug ??? OR did you hit the TPS plug ??? Or the breather hose ??

If not, Get the code for the light and we can help you further...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked all the connections and every thing is fine.

As far as the code thing goes, I'm assuming I can't check that with out some sort of diagnosis tool.

All I did was unhook the MAF plug and the air intake hose so I could get to the belt.

Would the parts store be able to read it for me?

So I went to Auto zone and the code is, P0068.

He was able to reset the light. He said that sometimes when you disconnect the MAF plug and plug it back in you have to reset the check engine light. He also looked over the engine real well to make sure I didn't over look something. I guess every thing is fine now.

Thanks for the help!

I was in Costco yesterday and noticed they had a no frills code reader there for about $35. I didn't buy it since I already have a ScanGage II, but would have had I not had one.

From the FAQ's, here are the details of your code...

P0068 - ETC Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Inconsistent with MAF Sensor The PCM monitors a vehicle operation rationality check by comparing sensed throttle position to mass air flow readings. If during key ON engine running self-test the comparison of the TP sensor and MAF sensor readings are not consistent with calibrated load values, the test fails and a diagnostic trouble code is stored in continuous memory. Air leak between MAF sensor and throttle body

TP sensor not seated properly

Damaged TP sensor

Damaged MAF sensor

Drive vehicle and exercise throttle and TP sensor in all gears. A TP1 PID is less than 4.82 % (0.24 volt) with a LOAD PID greater than 55% or a TP2 V PID greater than 49.05% (2.44 volts) with a LOAD PID less than 30% indicates a hard fault.

P0068 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Inconsistent with MAF Sensor The PCM monitors a vehicle operation rationality check by comparing sensed throttle position to mass air flow readings. If during key ON engine running self-test the comparison of the TP sensor and MAF sensor readings are not consistent with calibrated load values, the test fails and a diagnostic trouble code is stored in continuous memory. Air leak between MAF sensor and throttle body

TP sensor not seated properly

Damaged TP sensor

Damaged MAF sensor

Drive vehicle and exercise throttle and TP sensor in all gears. A TP PID (TP2 PID) less than 4.82 % (0.24 volt) with a LOAD PID greater than 55% or a TP2 PID greater than 49.05% (2.44 volts) with a LOAD PID less

Latest posts