Loud ticking noise from engine in front of driver site

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oknopa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I drove yesterday and out nowhere i got this ticking noise from the engine in front. People said is was one blown spark plug, but i replaced all the plugs today and still got this noise. Is this the timing chain tensioner? or the timing chain case? is more one ticking sound.....listening to the videos below. thanks guys.

Attachments

• PXL_20240928_152206453 (1).mp4
    21.2 MB
  • PXL_20240928_151646772 (1) (1).mp4
    36.8 MB
Hold a long paper tube to your year and place it on the valve cover where it's loudest. Better yet, record the sound by placing your smartphone microphone in the tube and post it here. If it's rattling like a can of marbles it's probably a broken plastic front timing chain guide.

Hold a long paper tube to your year and place it on the valve cover where it's loudest. Better yet, record the sound by placing your smartphone microphone in it. If it's rattling like a can of marbles it's probably a broken plastic front timing chain guide.
Is just a clicking sound in front of cylinder 4. The Truck still drives. I will drive to the shop Monday and see what they say. I have 162000 miles. I am not sure if I should replace both timing chains or get one new, used or rebuild engine.

Hard to guess without hearing a video. Possible fuel injector tick? Bottom end of the 4.0L SOHC is very stout. Achilles heel are the plastic timing chain guides that get brittle and break often causing severe valve damage. Metal chains themselves very rarely fail. Interested to hear what the shop has to say. Keep posted.

Latest posts