Another Digital Camera Thread

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Can anyone give some good information/feedback on digital cameras? I have had three of them and have not been happy with any of them for very basic reasons:

1. Batteries

Regular batteries are expensive.

Rechargable batteries don't last very long.

Some cameras you have to remove the batteries to charge.

My latest, an HP camera can be charged by plugging into the side with ac adapter, but they only charge once and then go dead within a week, even plugged it--I have to unplug and let charge up again.

Seems like batteries are always dead when I want to take a picture.

2. Shooting speed.

Time it takes camera to focus and snap picture-- and picture opportunity is gone!

Time it takes camera to recharge flash after taking previous picture-- might as well forget it.

Do all digital cameras have such a long delay when trying to take a picture?

Can anyone give me any advice or recommendations or review sites that address these two basic problems?

I want a decent, usable digital camera!

Thanks.

Gavin, I use a Canon Powershot G3 (getting old, I know) and it charges by plugging the cord into the side of the camera. The battery seems to last forever. I know when me and the girlfriend were in Mexico last winter she took around 4000 photos with it over two weeks and it wasn't till the middle of the second week that we had to charge it and we did it just in case because we didn't want the battery to die before a big excursion. I shoot 5-10 photos a day outside (no flash) and can get a couple of months out of one charge. I think they have a G6 or G7 now.

My suggestion is go to a camera store and play around with cameras to see how they do. Don't go to futureshop or someplace, but a real camera store. They can help you out and will let you play with the different models. With the list of things you want/dislike/need they will be able to narrow your search down and then you playing with them in the store and outside will allow you to make up your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavin,

As I said in the other thread my wife and I really like the Kodak Z740 we have. It takes regular AA batteries, and can take rechargeable versions of said so that you can save money. This is the best of both worlds, you can use cheap disposables if in a pinch, or you can keep the rechargeable lithiums charged. And, since it charges on the docking station where we keep it all the time, we simply don't worry about it. It holds a charge for a long time...but then again, since we always have it on the charger it's hard to tell.

I wouldn't own a camera with "special batteries".

As for click-to-shutter time, our camera is rated at less than 1/2 sec, and it holds true to that.

The new Kodaks are nice.

P.S. Amazon.com is the best review site that I can mention. It has hundreds of regular user reviews of all popular brands and models...better than some paid reviewer any day of the week.

TJR

Rechargable batteries don't last very long.

It all depends on the make. I use Maha PowerEX rechargeables with the 401FS charger, and never had a problem with lackluster life or times between recharging. I use them in a Canon S3 IS.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the batteries I use are Maha 2700 mAh--a fairly large capacity and runtime.

See link below...

I've got an HP Photosmart digital camera that I bought 2 years ago at Radio Shack.

Normally I have to wait 10 seconds between shots. I also use lithium batteries and they last a long time. Don't use my camera a whole lot, but with normal alkaline batteries they go pretty quick.

Lithiums are more expensive, about $10-$12 for a 4-pack, but depending on how often you use your camera they can last months.

D-

If you want to spend a little more, I LOVE my Nikon D70. It's a whole lotta camera, and can do just about anything. I'm no pro, but you don't have to be. You can use it as a point & shoot. But there are a ton of features as you become more advanced. I would imagine the D50 or D40 would be real nice as well.

Mike

This is a great site for checking out most everything electronic.

They even have free courses on stuff like digital photography that you can check out. It may really help you with some of your photo taking issues.

D-

Well, you didn't mention price or what you want to use the camera for. To get around the last issue the best thing you can do is move up to a digital SLR. I'd reccommend the Canon Digital Rebel.

From the B+H site:

"With a startup time of 0.2 seconds, the EOS Digital Rebel XTi is ready to go the instant it's brought to the eye. And the Digital Rebel XTi's shutter can record images as fast as 1/4000 seconds and as long as 30 sec., plus bulb at up to 3 fps for 27 consecutive shots. It synchronizes with Canon Speedlites at 1/200 seconds."

The new one (the XTi) is really sweet, but if you want to save some money you can get some really good deals on the previous model (the XT). Also it has removal rechargeable batteries, which last pretty long, and you can buy some non-canon brand extra batteries for pretty cheap.

Anyways, if you want a point and shoot, I don't know what the best one is.