Another MPG Thread *gasp*

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found (on the '07 V8) that the computer mpg is +/- .5 mi to actual. I took a trip from San Jose to Jackson, CA (appx 130 mi) last weekend, and got just under 25mpg (cruise on, 65-70pmh). For a V8, I love it . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have setup the trac to be fun to drive. When you hit it . . .it really goes. I get about 17-18 all around driving. I do 80 when ever I can on the highway. I'm the guy that wants you to move out of the left lane. Blame it on moving to New Jersey 20 years ago. :)

I have the gibson cat back exhaust, Y-pipe, High flow cat, Zabteck throttle body, KKM intake, screamon deamon coil, 3"PA body lift, 4.10 and I am pushing ProComp AT 285/75/16 tires with Torries 87 performance tune.

If it is good MPG's you search for out of the trac, I can say the best increase I saw was when I put the exhaust on and the intake. Everything after that just made it get there faster.

Why would the when you did this " can say the best increase I saw was when I put the exhaust on and the intake. Everything after that just made it get there faster." did you get better fuel economy???

Keith - when I bought the trac in 2003 it was completely stock and got maybe 14 - 16 mpg. Just replacing the intake and putting on the exhaust it went to 18 - 19. When I put the other things on it did not make any more improvement in the mpg's. You can start off quicker from a stop, pass people faster etc. so my lead foot most likely contributes to the lack of additional mpg's. I also have much larger tires on it now and it did not loose any mpg's. I'm sure Torries tune had alot to do with that. Once I got the performance I was looking for I did not worry about the mpg's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say stop worrying about mileage and worry about getting so many days of driving out of the tank. I know I'm refilling every 5-6 days. Period. And just learn to live with it. The only thing these mpg threads have taught me is that either ford is sharing the special mpg computer with certain ST'ers or.... Either many members here or myself don't know how to calculate mpg. City driving has never yielded better than 15 mpg and mostly it's between 13-14. Highway is usually 20 on trips but local mixed driving is 13-15 again.

Hello, New Guy here. Wow, these mileage figures make me wonder. I have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 w/Hemi and was looking into a ST as I no longer need such a large truck. Mileage would be a benefit but these numbers are all over the board an make me wonder about what I may gain. I get 10 city and around 14 highway right now turning 37" tires with a 6" lift.

Even the Consumer Guides I have been looking through rate the ST low on mileage. :wacko:

round trip to work i drive 40 miles a day.for the five work days i use half a tank.for the weekend i use the rest.i use the cruise for the week days set at 60 going to work and around 70 coming home.because you can't do 60 on the lie at 2 in the afternoon.i have noticed since it got colder i seem to be useing more fuel.

Those with the 07+

Does teh Average MPG on teh Dash compute out pretty close to actual!?

I usually Take the Miles to a tank and devide it by the Gallons of fuel I used on a Calculator...

Just wanted to see how well that thing actually computed it! Thx

I have an 08 v6 4x2 and get about 14 mpg in town. My mileage computer is always about 1.5 mpg off of what I actually get, I have never had a car where teh milege computer is accurate, on my 2006 Lexus IS250 it is usually off by about 2 mpg....funny how they always read higher then what you actually get but if they programmed them to read accurate mileage people would really complain

really complaining

So can one assume 15 city is doable? I can handle 15, espicially if it lets me use low grade fuel. I mainly drive city and short trips for the most part of the week and hoghway excursions on the weekend. Would like achievable 20's for highway. Thoughts?