Another Tire/Wheel question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Sacco

Reaction score
I have a 2001 with a 5" suspension lift. I'm wanting to put InterCo TrXus STS 33x12x16 on it. I'm also looking at the AR Atlus wheels. My question is about the offset. AR only shows the Atlus wheel (16x8) with a 0 offset. The tire place says that the wheel will fit ok, but also not sure about the offset needed for clearance. Has anyone encountered a similar delima? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I think a 0 offset is the same as a 4" backspacing. If it is, you should be fine with that wheel. I had 16x8s with 4" backspacing on mine with 35X12.5X16s and everything fit fine metal to metal. You might have to do a tiny bit of trimming of plastic but that comes with any oversize tire and you should have plenty of clearance to suspension parts.

Yes, brad is EXACTLY correct.

An offset is just what it means, offset. Having a + rated offset means that the wheel it's self, after divding the size of it in HALF is that much more IN towards the wheel well. The same holds true for a - offset, only the wheel sticks more OUT from the well..

In your case Badger, your wheel is a 16x8. This means that the wheel is 8 inches wide, and that RIGHT in the middle of those 8 inches is where the wheel contacts the axle. That means 4 inches out sticking outwards from the axle, 4 inches sticking inward towards the axle. From there, having a 0 offset. (IE: +/- 0 mm) Means that the wheel does not further stick in one direction more than the other after it contacts the axle.

I think that with the lift you have and the wheels you got, you'll be JUST fine an have no problems with any rubbing. I have 16x8 wheels also with a +12mm offset, and only a ONE inch lift on the front of my ST. My wheels don't rub at all unless I turn the wheel HARD in one direction or the other, and then they still BARELY contact the wheel well... So again, I think you'll be just fine. Check out my pics in the "MAR 06" folder to see how the offset looks.

~Josh

just outta curiosity what lift do you have?

Superlift with a small TT and Warrior shackles and some trimming on the rear bottom edge of the cab sheet metal and tuperware (no exterior sheet metal trimming, just the pinch welds at the cab corner).

Yep.. superlift. It started out to be a 4" lift, but after the garage put it on, the rear sank almost down to normal. They called superlift, and they said it was the wrong springs in the kit. The garage didn't have the exact springs they recommended, so they substitued, which gave the the extra inch. I then just had the front end torqed to bring it up level.