Another update on the TCC solenoid rebellion!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee Johnson

Reaction score
Well, after all I've been through, thought I'd share in case someone else ends up with this ailment.......

Started off as possible IAC failure....slight, almost unnoticeable rough idle and engine dies after coming to a stop and a traffic light or stop sign or any general drop under 500rpm

Replaced IAC at dealership....they recommended replacing intake gaskets next :blink:(!)

Actual problem turns out to be the TCC solenoid. This was FINALLY diagnosed by an independenly practicing mechanic who hooked up his computer, drove it down the road and got a code to throw. Thought at first it could be the brake switch that signals this solenoid (that's how it was explained to me) but it wasn't, the switch is okie dokie. While he was in there he said my trans fluid, filter, all was great but he had to drain & replace anyway to get to the solenoid. He also mentioned there are six of these boogers in there, four on one side two on the other.

Today he replaced the TCC solenoid, cleaned throttle body and MAC, all is well! Running better than before :D.

Just don't do like I did and take the dealer's recommendation just because it is the dealership. I blew $118 for nothing on the IAC at the dealer! They had installed three of these in two years and I was beginning to wonder just what was causing the same thing to keep going out.:eek:

You can try to send copies of the paperwork to ford and see if you may get some sort of money back, but i doubt it..

Glad it is fixed...

Todd Z

Seems the dealers are willing to experiment with your money - and profit from it. I figure if you bring in your car, state the symptoms, and whatever it is that the do does not correct the problem, you are entitled to either a refund or a deduction of the cost for the failed experiment from further repair costs.

At "the end of the day" you want the problem corrected and to pay only for that. The lack of experience of the technicians should not be the responsibility of the customer, in any sense.