another xcal2 question...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Y

Reaction score
I know you peeps that have the xcal2 highly recommend it, and a mileage tune gets you better gas mileage, but how much better?? I've emailed Wayne this, but I thought I'd ask you guys and get a general concensus. Anyone running everything stock with a mileage tune? I'm currently getting not much better than 12mpg around town and wondering if I can justify getting the flasher by how much gas mileage I can gain. I know this topic has probably been beat to death, and I've utilized the search function, I just don't seem to be able to find any straight answers in the posts. Anyway, sorry to beat a dead horse, just wondering again if I can justify buying it by saving money on gas, (aside the fact that I want one and the performance aspects are REALLY tempting).

thanks again...

12 mpg is bad, even with me not keeping my foot off the front bumper the worst I have seen lately is 15mpg...

Driving habits have a lot to do with it... Even just taking off slower from lights can drasticly increase your mpg...

Hope some one can give you an exact answer to your question.. because i know i did not...:D

Todd Z

With fall in the air in upstate NY, I recently got 17 mpg. The air conditioning is no longer needed and haven't had to put the heater on yet. Gas is sold for under $2.60 now. Don't know what xcal2 is but I also don't jump off the line when the light turns green, and I coast to a stop light. I'm happy with 17 mpg and can't wait for the snow to fly. Good Luck, don't know how you can live with 12 mpg!

Ryan, I feel your pain! I'm down to under 15 MPGs when over the summer with the AC on I was getting almost 18. I'm hoping someone can answer your question b\c I am trying to use the increased fuel economy as my selling point to the GF since it's on my wishlist

heheh...thanks. AND aren't you supposed to get better gas mileage out of summer blend/southern blend gas?? I don't know...all I know is I consistantly get around 250 miles to a tank (all city driving), and every time I fill up after my low fuel light I put 20.5 gals in the tank...so that's about roughly 12 mpg... and this has been going on ALL throughout the SUMMER in SOUTH MISSISSIPPI!!! So who knows, I know I did get about 15 mpg one tank that I babied it... REALLY babied it... but the next tank I did the same with only two punches of the gas pedal and it shot it back down to 12 average for that tank. I know measuring it that way isn't precise, it's just how to get a rough idea of gas mileage.

I know I have 33,400 miles on it and I could better the situation with some new motorcraft plugs and some taylor wires... just wondering how much more the xcal2 can help my situation. So I get the worst gas mileage award?? :wacko:

yeah, I get about 17 on trips and that's with cruise set on 70-75 and hardly ever stopping..... humm.... is there something that could be "wrong" with my trac or is it really me and my driving habits? I never thought I was THAT bad on the pedal, but maybe i am. It seemed to get better gas mileage when I bought it and lived in atlanta, but three months after that I moved over to mississippi and it seems like it's been as bad as it is now for as long as I can remember.

Rodger,

did you get an xcal first? before the intake and exhaust? if so, what kind of mileage gains did you see with just the xcal??

thanks

Ryan, I don't have Xcal2, but have an Apten chip tuned for towing a travel trailer with 87 octane fuel, and with firmed up shifts. When I'm not towing, I picked up about 1 to 1 1/2 mpg at my regular hwy cruising speed of 70-75 mph. I regularly get around 21 mpg + on hwy trips. The biggest reward I get is not the increase in mpg, it is the firmed up shift points that eliminate clutch slipping in the auto trans, thereby increasing trans life and cooler fluid temps. Also, when towing, the shift points are maximized to keep engine torque in the most efficient range. The mpg boost is modest, and just a bonus in my humble opinion. My ST is an '02 4x4 with 411 LS rear end running LT235/85R16's which puts my gear ratio at aprox 3.93. Hope someone else can give you your exact answer. Gas here in Great Falls, MT just went down to $2.38 for regular.

Gary

I don't know my mile as I have not figured it out. But based on quick math I must be getting 19 or so and that is almost always just of 70 mph.